Aftermarket options

Aftermarket options

Postby Jim Steele » Fri May 07, 2010 2:00 pm

I read a lot about how dealerships are offering aftermarket parts as an option to keep repair costs down. We talk about it but never do it.

Anyone else giving customers a choice between OEM and aftermarket parts?
Jim Steele

Aftermarket options

Postby Backlash » Fri May 07, 2010 2:25 pm

We only use a/m stuff when the />@&*%#@ ex-warranty sends them or a customer brings them in. We don't offer them at all.
Backlash

Aftermarket options

Postby robc » Sat May 08, 2010 1:08 pm

I would always give the customer options and upsell on genuine. Unless your shops has the work that it just doesn't need to be in the market for these customers. But specifically what are we discussing ... are there really comeback issues with pads, rotors, plugs, hoses, filters, suspension, batteries, steering, etc. that is 95% of our work anymore. For emission sensors and whatnot - there are some brands out there that are quality some that are not - I am not afraid to tell customers what I would do, but it is there car.

This isn't that hard of an honest discussion to have with customers. If it was a part that involved serious labor I would heavily discourage them from taking a chance.
robc

Aftermarket options

Postby robc » Sat May 08, 2010 3:17 pm

For a good read on the subject, Aftermarket Business just published a survey on the issue.

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/advanst ... 15/OnePage
robc

Aftermarket options

Postby btk » Mon May 10, 2010 6:22 pm

We offer both, only sell factory to start-if resistance is met, we will then offer aftermarket, we have been doing this for about 3 years now and works o.k.. depending on the part. Some aftermarket parts are more expensive then the OEM. I think giving people options are great, it certainly helps level the playing field with the independants. I would look at your recommendations and take a look at what is being declined by the customers. We find it is a 50/50 split when a customer is offered a factory part for certain price and aftermarket for a certain price-1/2 the time they will decide on factory if given the choice. Keep in mind we also encourage customers to look at repairpal.com to get an idea of repair costs in your area. The combination of these tools, it works well for us. Better to get 75 % labor gross% and 40 on aftermarket then nothing at all
btk

Return to Service & Body Shop Managers