Special Tools

Special Tools

Postby ChevAustin » Fri Feb 12, 1999 6:18 am

How do you feel about the new partnership with the new GM? One of the first actions is to force us to upgrade our tool rooms. With no response from us they force us to buy at their prices tools that are missing from 'their' list. Also they "force" us to pay $84.00 per hour for extra services for their "help". I wish I could charge GM $84.00 per hour for my services. Some of the tools on the list are ????? for their use in a tool room. I agree that we need to improve our special tool handling, but this is not the way. Force is not the way to start this new relationship with the new GM!!!!

------------------
Happy Motoring
ChevAustin

Special Tools

Postby GreggT67 » Fri Feb 12, 1999 11:00 am

At this point, all GM is looking to do is make sure the dealerships are up to par with their tool requirements as outlined in the Sales and Service agreement. I'm sure plenty of dealerships out there have never done a tool inventory themselves and are lacking alot of the required tools. You can save yourself the $83.50 an hour by having everything ready for inspectors. I can see GM's point in wanting to review tool inventories, it's one way of making sure everything is there to do the job right. Would you want a doctor doing surgery on you with only half the required tools or using tools to perform functions other than what they were intended for?
GreggT67

Special Tools

Postby Douglas George » Sun Feb 14, 1999 12:21 pm

GM is not the only factory now going into dealerships to check special tools. Toyota has also gone into both of our Toyota dealerships and physically checked tools. Chrysler, this year alone sent us over $20,000. in special tools to all four of our Chrysler stores. Although these are burdensome, we have no choice at this point. Perhaps, it would be okay for the factories to charge us so much if we could charge them regular retail rate for warranty work.
Douglas George

Special Tools

Postby jrcal » Mon Feb 15, 1999 10:49 am

If I understand your posts correctly, GM is charging us for the special tool inventory they will perform at each dealership. How are the charges broken down. We are in the process of remodeling our tool room and would like some details of what they are looking for besides just the inventory.

thanks

------------------
JC

jrcal

Special Tools

Postby GreggT67 » Sat Feb 20, 1999 10:22 pm

JC,

The tool inventory is not something GM will be charging dealerships for unless it becomes a very time consuming process. If you have a tool room up and running by the time the tool inventory people come to visit your dealership, it is highly unlikely they will be charging you this $83.50 "run around" expense.

GreggT67

Special Tools

Postby David Henson » Thu Feb 25, 1999 9:51 am

To offer a little insight into the tool cops and survey I can tell you this:

They are starting in the U.S. and are going to expand to Canada in the near future.
If not available, essential tools will be ordered on-the-spot.
Average cost of required tools ranges from a low (standalone Buick) of $22,000 for 150 tools to a high (standalone Chevy with Corvette) of 397 tools at a cost of about $35,000.
Rumor has it that average tool orders in surveyed stores are running about $4,000 (I would not be surprised to see some range into $10,000 for a multi-line store).
They will also verify the existance of "Critical Equipment" which includes a brake lathe, tire changer, tire balancer, alignment machine, A/C equipment and emission analyzer. Reps from the various equipment manufacturers will be called in to test calibration (at no charge to the dealer).
I have found most techs are supporting the idea while Service Managers remain split.

[This message has been edited by David Henson (edited 02-26-99).]

David Henson

Special Tools

Postby Richard » Mon Mar 08, 1999 3:58 pm

I am a Parts Manager, and at our store, the Parts Dept is in charge of Special Tools, as well as Service Manuals. We have a separate Manufacter set up in our Parts Inventory System (KM, and it is an EDS system) and all tools are being catologued there. We put them on a parts ticket and HOLD the ticket until the tool or Manual is returned. The problems I have run into, are #1, How do I get a list of the special tools we are supposed to have, and #2, How do I know which tools are obsolete? and #3, How do we know what tools go into kits? Is there a catologue availible? Thanks.
Richard

Special Tools

Postby robc » Tue Mar 09, 1999 8:16 am

Good questions ... I believe GM is providing dealers with a list before they come into the dealership of what they require.

In the past when I have tried to help stores with this issue, it was a matter of going back over the past two or three year's records to find what was shipped and what was required at that time. Not the most accurate method.

As far as obsolete, I think (... and others should chime in here and correct me if I am wrong) that most shops will continue to inventory tools until they well past their useful life [you never know when you'll get a Olds Omega in the shop again.] However, most expense tools and manuals out as supplies which are depreciated to nothing very quickly (in just a few years.) So while inventory will be kept on them, they have no book value.

------------------
** Rob, Editor WD&S **
Help is only a message post away!
robc@dealersedge.com

robc

Special Tools

Postby David Henson » Tue Mar 09, 1999 2:50 pm

You can get a list of required "essential" tools (current year plus last 3) by calling S.M.I. at 1-888-855-9039 before they arrive.

A package listing required tools will be shipped to the dealership 6 to 8 weeks before you are scheduled for the inventory. Dealers are telling me that it is taking them a minimum of 6 weeks to gather everything so it would be a good idea to get the list as far in advance as possible.

The system of having the parts department inventory tools is one that is considered a "best practice" by GM. Some stores pay the parts department a stocking fee to maintain their tool inventory. When you consider the cost, this doesn't seem like too bad an idea.

Also note that Kent-Moore mechanical tools are covered by a warranty similar to others (i.e. Snap-on, Craftsman, etc.) and may be replaced at no charge if broken during use.

[This message has been edited by David Henson (edited 03-09-99).]

David Henson

Special Tools

Postby ChevAustin » Thu Mar 18, 1999 8:36 pm

Since I started this chain I thought I would finish it. I just had my tool audit. It actually went very well. The audit-dude was very careful and worked with us. If we had the tool assigned as a techs purchase we were given credit. Also, it did not have to be Kent-Moore. It was agreeable and cost me $2600.00. Overall I feel it was very useful and the fear of the unknown was unfounded.

------------------
Happy Motoring
ChevAustin

Next

Return to Service & Body Shop Managers