Maintenance 1 and Maintenance 2

Postby Art_Mopar » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:02 pm

Just took over a Chevrolet Store that needs a total Service Makeover. How do you GM Guys make any money at all with these virtually maintenance free vehicles? I too am having a hard time convincing myself that a M1 or M2 Service is worth much more than a standard lof & tire rotation.
Art_Mopar

Postby GMFXDOPSMGR » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:17 pm

Art, give me a call, I have something you will like for MI &MII

Tom Edwards
GMFXDOPSMGR

Postby Art_Mopar » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:12 pm

Tom,
Whats your #?
Art_Mopar

Postby JustBob » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:13 pm

Guys (and Gals),

I am a moderator on another forum on this site but read all of them. I find them quite educational and helpful in my dealings with auto dealers. I can appreciate the challenges you face dealing with the factory recomendations.

Not that you need an example but here is one. It does not take much to confuse me but the following does.

I come from the old school (Old enough I know what grease zerks are) of changing the oil and filter every 3K. A while back a purchased a used Buick Lucerne for my wife to drive. Ordinarily I do not drive her car much but the Northstar V8 in this dude has me driving it more.

I recently noticed it was coming due (within 50 miles) for an oil change per the windshield reminder. However I received an Email notice from OnStar telling me it had 32% of the oil life left. Got me curious so I followed the links on that Email and found the info below. Now I am a mechanically minded person and am still fairly sharp in the mind (subject to argument). Wouldn't the average Joe consumer be confused by this?

From link in OnStar:
The beauty of the GM Oil Life System is that it will automatically adjust the oil change interval based on engine characteristics, driving habits and the climate in which the vehicle is operated. For instance, mild highway driving in a warm climate will maximize the interval between oil changes. Depending on the vehicle, this could be in excess of 7,000 miles or sometimes as high as 12,000 miles. On the other hand, short trip driving in a cold climate may limit the oil life interval to 3,000 miles or less. In general, most people that drive a combination of city and highway schedules find that the GM Oil Life System will indicate an oil change every 6,000 to 9,000 miles.

------------------
Have a tremendous day
Bob Britting

JustBob

Previous

Return to Service & Body Shop Managers