Maintenance 1 and Maintenance 2

Postby capsgs » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:24 am

Trust me on this one Dave, they are starting to see an expense on this one too. We're getting CTSs that are running out of oil before the OLM lamp comes on and it doesn't even light up the low oil lamp. So far it's cost them 3 timming chain jobs and a Northstar engine. That's just at my shop in the last 2 mos. I want to know who the hell comes up with this stuff? They should stick to wholesale and stay out of retail!!!
capsgs

Postby dcpdave » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:01 pm

i fear your examples are just the tip of the iceberg, capsgs. as rob indicated, the longer powertrain warranties will show the effects. and yes, it will cost the general more, but also, we will be doing the repairs at warranty rates, and we all know how fair gm is with their rates.....
the public is too busy to come in for "pit stops". therefore we'll see a lot more breakdowns, which the public will scream warranty, because they followed the OLM system.
as far as who comes up with this crap? i believe it's mainly driven by sales advertising.
these are mechanical vehicles that are put thru hell in most cases, they need regular preventative maint. i am at a loss as to why these manufacturers can't understand the concept. they may sell the first vehicle promoting very little maint., but they won't sell that customer a second one if it doesn't hold up.
dcpdave

Postby 69mach1 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:52 am

This morning our service rep wanted to come in early to go over some items as we are sitting in the lounge having a cup of coffee and watching the release of Paris, a Mobile Oil commecial came on advertising synthetic oils and broadcasted to every one in the nation there was a comment that the oil companies suggest that you change your standard oil at 3000 miles by using synthetic you can go up to 5000 i looked at out service rep and asked "dont you guys use mobile products in the new units!
talk about speechless.........
the oil company state's 3000 miles
69mach1

Postby svrmrg » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:47 am

I was in a service meeting after the Dex-Cool service interval was increased. We had an engineer there to go over product issues and someone asked what changed in the Dex-Cool to warrant the increase in service interval. His response was that the only thing that changed was marketing, so I guess the only difference between what the oil companies recommend and what GM recommends is marketing. Got to love it, I have yet to see a successful GM operated retail store but they sure do no an awful lot about how we should run our stores.
svrmrg

Postby GMFXDOPSMGR » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:57 am

Our area is having it's launch meeting next week. I'll get to hear what GM is saying about this. From the talk on this forum, I'll anticipate the same reaction as you are having. It seems that GM wants to cut the warranty times, then get into our retail business and "control" it also. Our warranty expense was down 17% from last year and still got ripped on the GMWA report. Rep didn't give us any at-a-boys for our high CSI, just threatend authorization restrictions if EPUR did not decrease. "Yes Mr customer, your vehicle does have a warranty, but my rep says we are doing too much warranty repairs, so you will have to come back next month when I have some money to spend for GM" HA!
D--n if you do, d--n if you don't!
GMFXDOPSMGR

Postby slapenta » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:04 am

dcpdave

>gm recently came out with a new web site "to educate" us on how to promote the maint. system, and a "calculator" that shows how much more money the dealer will make using it vs. the 3/3000 rule

Can you please provide me with the GM web link?

Thanks,
Steve LaPenta
slapenta

Postby capsgs » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:11 am

Here you go Steve, but you'll need a un and pw. UN is usually parts code.

https://www.gmspoad.com/gmparts/coop/login.asp
capsgs

Postby slapenta » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:09 am

capsgs - thanks for your help!

Steve LaPenta
slapenta

Postby Oldcar » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:18 pm

Gentlemen:
Step back and take another look at what Maintenance 1 & 2 really does! Yes, the customer makes less trips to your dealership, but by doing the service correctly you get to pull the wheels are every visit and we all know that the money today is in under the car. If you price the service correctly you will also make more gross per vehicle during the same mileage period without any customer complaints. Besides, with GM's new 5/100,000 powertrain warranty and the emphasis on warranty cost reduction, how long do you think it will be before the customer must prove they have completed REQUIRED services? If you feel like you are loosing contact with your customers because of decreased patronage try giving Corky Brabbs' pitstop service a try. Change is scary, so is only servicing less than 40% of the cars we sell.
Oldcar

Postby tjsmith » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:24 pm

Prime example, just happened to us Monday. Customer uses the GM OIL LIFE SYSTEM in her Cadillac, & it has nearly been close to 10k miles since she has been in here for service, & her outer tread on her tires were gone, an alignment issue...now if she had came every 3k miles we would have caught it & she would not be buying $1200 worth of tires now....or fussing that Cadillac should be buying her tires b/c she only has 25k miles on her car.

tjsmith

PreviousNext

Return to Service & Body Shop Managers