GM WARRANTY CODING

GM WARRANTY CODING

Postby MARY SHERICK » Tue Mar 02, 1999 9:19 pm

I AM CURIOUS TO KNOW HOW MOST OF YOU LEARNED TO CODE GM WARRANTY. I KNOW I AM SELF-TAUGHT, AND WAS MORE FORTUNATE THAN MOST. I AM JUST CURIOUS HOW THOSE NOT FAMILIAR WITH THE MECHANICAL ASPECTS OF VEHICLES LEARNED. IT SEEMS TO ME THAT THIS KIND OF TRAINING IS NOT WIDELY AVAILABLE. I AM IN THE PROCESS OF TRAINING A PERSON RIGHT NOW, AND CAN SEE HOW DIFFICULT SOME OF THIS IS FOR HER TO GRASP. WELL?

------------------
MARY SHERICK

GM WARRANTY CODING

Postby dmroper » Tue Mar 02, 1999 11:31 pm

We use R&R-

For the longest time, I was data-entry only. Tech works a job line then goes to the warranty room in the shop to get paid and d/o his part, forwards the papers to the cashier who prices out the ticket and delivers the vehicle. Then, we 'clean scan and index' the parerwork. Then paperwork would go to the warranty room. Claims and ops were entered in the warranty room, paperwork then came back to me (in the service office, where I invoiced warranty tickets, manually submitted through DCS and posted credit memos). I'd assemble the claim memo, give the warranty room the rejects, wait for r/s and post credit memo and forward it back to the warranty room for scrapping. I'd get it back after 15 days and file it in the service office.

It was a tedious process, and I'm glad we don't do it that way anymore.

I know nothing of coding, and constantly had to be in contact with the clerks in the warranty room to check on claims.

Eventually, they moved me back to the warranty room, and I had to learn coding. First, I copied the pages from the latest WINS claims processing manual showing complaint codes and failed codes, and laminated them. We recently received a nice cheat sheet from j&l too.. Whenever I had a moment, I'd also peruse the LTG. I'd remember a tech coming to get paid, and look up that op, and try to visualize where in the vahicle I'm at.

Another thing that helps he still is the oppertunity I have at the end of each day to walk around the shop and look at the vehicles up in the racks. I'll ask tachnicians cleaning their stalls to show me around the vehicle.. Our warranty admin is able to show me where a part is, what the technicians will call the failed part, and what the labor time guide will call the failed part. Terms like door panel and "trim assembly" and dash and "carrier" were hard at first, but after doing it long enough, you get the hang of it.

It's confusing at first, we all know that if we were just pulled off the street to do this we'd be very green at the beginning. I certainly was.. I hated having to backflag a tech because of my error.. I still do..

I was fortunate to be exposed to the keystroks and op #'s doing data entry for a while before I actually had to understand them..

In the end, I still had to do a bit of studying myself, and still have much more to do.. I've learned a lot by being put on the spot, though.

Our other clerk just went to WINS trining.. Another we had a while ago just watched the training videos..

Self-taught is good, too.

dmroper

GM WARRANTY CODING

Postby MARY SHERICK » Thu Mar 04, 1999 12:56 am

TO DM ROPER, I WAS JUST CURIOUS HOW OTHERS DID IT. THE WINS CLASSES DO A LOUSY JOB OF TEACHING CODING. THE PERSON I AM TRAINING NOW IS BEING TAUGHT HANDS-ON, IN A SIMILAR FASHION TO WHAT YOU ARE DESCRIBING. I WAS JUST CURIOUS IF OTHERS STARTING OUT WERE HAVING THE SAME KIND OF TROUBLE. IT SEEMS THAT A FORTUNE COULD BE MADE BY SOMEONE COMING UP WITH A GOOD "REAL LIFE" CODING TRAINING SYSTEM OR CLASS. GM IS CERTAINLY NOT RUSHING TO HELP DEALERS CHARGE THE FULL AMOUNTS THEY ARE ENTITLED TO. IN THIS RESPECT, THEY COULD TAKE A LESSON FROM BMW.

------------------
MARY SHERICK

GM WARRANTY CODING

Postby Cindi » Tue Mar 09, 1999 8:08 pm

Mary-
I was self-taught myself. A long time ago. Basically the way I did it was by using tech notes and service manuals and putting a lot of trust in the shop foreman. If he's any type of person, he will be honest and truthful. Most time they aren't flat-rate and will take the time to help a new person. The service manuals are nice because they also have pictures. (sometimes) Your would be amazed what you find out there. A lot of 'million-dollar pen' will be eliminated at that point. I understand (although personally have never used it) that someone (sorry I don't know who)publishes something called Warranty Wizard. This works on the principal of part # to LOP cross referencing. It's a CD-ROM that can be plugged into any existing PC in the svc dept. My dealer also subscribes to J&L and they publish a part # to LOP cross refernce on paper. Very nice. The warranty wizard, though is supposed to be great. Like dmroper said, learning the hard way is sometimes best. You learn by your mistakes.
Cindi

GM WARRANTY CODING

Postby MARY SHERICK » Tue Mar 09, 1999 9:37 pm

CINDI, I HAVE BEEN PROCESSING WARRANTY FOR THIRTEEN YEARS, SO I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE REFERRING TO. WD&S ALSO PUBLISHED A LOP TO PART GROUP REFERENCE WHICH IN MY EXPERIENCE HAS BEEN MUCH EASIER FOR A BEGINNER TO USE. I HAVE TRAINED WARRANTY CLERKS FOR SEVERAL DEALERS. I WAS JUST CURIOUS IF ANYONE OUT THERE HAD HEARD OF A PROGRAM THAT DID THE SAME THING. I KNOW HOW LONG IT TAKES TO GET SOMEONE UP AND RUNNING FROM SCRATCH, AND HAVE FOUND IT VERY PROFITABLE TO TRAIN PEOPLE FOR OTHER DEALERSHIPS, BUT I HAVE NOT HEARD OF ANY SCHOOLS BESIDES THE ONE J AND L OFFERS. THIER PROGRAM SEEMS TO BE VERY OVERPRICED FOR THE INFORMATION PROVIDED. FROM WHAT I SAW OF THE TRAINING MATERIALS THEY SENT HOME WITH A PERSON WHO ATTENDED, YOU CAN GET THE SAME INFO FROM THE WINS TAPE AND PRACTICE BOOK, AND STILL BE IN THE DARK. I SAW THIS WHEN THE DEALER HIRED ME TO TRAIN THE PERSON, WHO WAS STILL VERY CONFUSED. THAT PERSON IS NOW VERY PROFICIENT ACCORDING TO THE SERVICE REP I HAVE NOW, AS WELL AS THE ONE PRIOR TO HIM. THEY WOULD BE IN A POSITION TO KNOW, SINCE THEY CALL ON THAT STORE. I WAS JUST CURIOUS ABOUT OTHERS' EXPERIENCES.

------------------
MARY SHERICK

GM WARRANTY CODING

Postby robc » Wed Mar 10, 1999 8:36 am

When I train a warranty administrator I tell the dealer to expect about a six-month learning curve. You can show somebody 95% of the job in two eight-hour days, but they will never be able to retain all of it until they actually have practice in the system. After about six-months any diligent worker should be able to get claims paid on a consistent basis with little supervision.

Now getting paid and keeping it paid will separate the good administrators from the real pros ... that kind of skill takes much longer to master.

------------------
** Rob, Editor WD&S **
Help is only a message post away!
robc@dealersedge.com

robc

GM WARRANTY CODING

Postby jrcal » Thu Mar 11, 1999 11:44 am

Warranty Wizard was made by Systron and has now been sold to ADP. I first learned of it through WD&S. The nice part of this program is the part number to group listing. When you aren't sure of what labor op to use with what part, you can enter the part number and the program will give you several choices of labor ops to choose from based on the part number group number. The program is not completely accurate but does give you a place to look most of the time. You can even edit the labor ops and put in your own labor op. It is by far the best warranty program I have seen in 15 years of coding claims.

------------------
JC
jrcal

GM WARRANTY CODING

Postby Cindi » Thu Mar 11, 1999 8:42 pm

Another great thing for the beginner is finding a mentor. Most of us did not have a web site to turn to when we needed help nor did we have a newsletter to help guide us. Sometimes having another person listen to it will out a different light on what seems so dull.
Cindi

GM WARRANTY CODING

Postby dmroper » Sun Mar 14, 1999 10:14 pm

I agree.. You know you've got a good worker if they mave the motivation to learn something on their own time, and especially if they aren't afraid to ask questions. Our Warranty Administrator is being promoted to assistant manager (thank GOD!) and I'm glad to know he doesn't mind my constant search for answers.. Eventually I'm able to know how to make the call myself, and hopefully make the right decision..
dmroper

GM WARRANTY CODING

Postby MARY SHERICK » Wed Mar 17, 1999 7:45 am

IT LOOKS LIKE THE REST OF THE AUTOMOTIVE WORLD IS STILL DOING THE TRAINING THE SAME WAY. IT LOOKS LIKE ROB IS DOING THE TRAINING THE SAME WAY I HAVE. THANKS FOR THE INPUT.

------------------
MARY SHERICK

Next

Return to Service & Body Shop Managers