Selling Struts and Shocks

Postby Think Now 2009 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:24 pm

What does everyone THINK about Selling

Struts and/or Shocks as a Maintenance item on vehicles with over 50K? I was recently at a Manufactures Meeting and this discussion came up with the group saying that we should consider selling struts and/or shocks as a 50K Maintenace item. This was based on information seen on the Monroe web site www.monroe.com. What does everybody think?

Thanks a Bunch;

Bob

------------------
Did I Make You Think?

Think Now 2009

Postby PB » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:06 pm

Put them on your car and let us know what you "THINK" !!
PB

Postby DEZ » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:23 pm

If the car needs them sell them, if not then don't!

Why not sell tires every 20k if the car needs it or not? Or ANY "wear item"

this is absurd

[This message has been edited by DEZ (edited 07-13-2009).]

DEZ

Postby KA » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:46 pm

Here we go again...............
KA

Postby PB » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:31 pm

KA...you are correct...no one should ever reply to this idiot!
PB

Postby gmservice1 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:19 am

While I'm not a fan of selling unnecessary services or repairs, I've asked myself this in the past. Is it really necessary to wait until a vehicle bounces off the road or a shock or strut leaks to replace it. We don't wait until brakes are metal to metal, or until batteries fail to replace them. I think 50k is a little premature, but maybe not on a 10yr old vehicle.
Sorry to disagree with the crowd, but I don't think this is that far-fetched. The aftermarket has been doing this for years. I wouldn't push it, but I don't see the harm in giving the customer the option.
gmservice1

Postby PB » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:45 am

Stuff like this is what gives car automotive shops a bad name! Tires are going to go bad but do you replace them at 5,000 miles because you know they are going to wear out in the future? Do what is right and you will have customers knocking down your door to come to your facility! Not saying I dont beleive in preventative maintenance such as oil, tire rotation, and fluid changes, but some of this stuff is ridiculous!
PB

Postby TheOne » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:10 am

I don't need anyone to make me "think", I do that just fine and like the rest I resent the implication. A series of real contributions to the group would certainly be in order prior to the seeming arrogance.....

I do believe that shocks and struts are not sold in reasonable quantities in the dealership environment. We generally fail to consider the customer that would like his vehicle to handle in a manner different than original equipment intent. I also believe selling shocks based on mileage is mostly foolish. Yes valving wears out, and the degradation is slow and not normally noticeable. I also agree that by the time tire wear caused by bad shocks or struts is visible the components should have been replaced many many miles in the past.

In order to properly sell shocks and struts in a timely manner one must have a tool like the Hunter Inspection Lane. I have had two of them in various shops and plan for a third at my current location. I am of course very interested in hearing from anyone who can provide me an alternate method of OBJECTIVELY determining shock and strut needs.
TheOne

Postby KA » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:53 am

ThinkNow2009 ,
Have you ever sold light bulbs,tie straps,or air hose ? I think I might have talked to you before ?

KA

Postby KLINK » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:48 pm

Shocks and struts are way undersold in dealerships.
Techs don't like to replace them.
OE are generally over priced.
OE are generally inferior quality.

That being said it is one of the few repairs along with tire and brakes, where when the customer pulls out of the dealership and they can actually feel the value of the repair in the way their vehicle operates and drives.
Unlike most of the items we sell where the customer just spent $400 or $500 dollars so his driveway stays clean or his ac blows cold.
KLINK

Next

Return to Service & Body Shop Managers