Selling Struts and Shocks

Postby spwilkins » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:20 pm

Seems like alot of the independent repair shops are selling shocks and struts...and selling it for alot cheaper than most dealerships. Hmmm....I dont see too many Midas or Monroe or NTB stores with "Closed" or "Bankrupt" signs in the window.

If we dont start looking at what others are doing, thinking about what is right for OUR BUSINESS, then more of us are going to have to go home.
spwilkins

Postby KA » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:48 am

In my opinion one would have to ask if every other process is working before implementing something like that ? What EASY services and scheduled maintenance are we missing ? I can agree with all of your answers to some degree,but I would think most of us can honestly say we could do a BETTER job selling things we should have in the first place.
I for one can tell you I watch service and quick lube every day. Heck we all make mistakes and even become complacent from time to time. That 4WD SUV with 79K that just left quick lube in 30 minutes just might have needed shocks !? , but what about that left front axle seal and cooler lines !?
It all boils down to educating the customer.Be honest with them and it will pay off in the end.

We have a lady with U van with almost 200K ( exsisting good customer ) and we have been doing a good job keeping it going for the last 9-10 years.

She just came in last week a bought a 2010 Camaro for her husband , and wrote a letter to our owner stating that Service and Parts sold that car.

I'm sure there is no one answer to this issue but I believe if you give an HONEST estimate in order of PRIORITY and add value in what you sell !It does pay off in the end................
KA

Postby jazdale » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:21 am

Good points KA

In my travels, I've seen a lot of good and bad on both ends of the 'selling service' spectrum.

At the low end, we pour 1/4 million dollars into a quick lane and spin our wheels making $3 each on 60 ROs a day. The writer either doesn't care, isn't trained to sell, or the shop hasn't allowed open time to handle any upsells.

On the high-end, we do all the right things including a generous commission to all involved. Now, every vehicle seems to need $2000 in early maintenance and repair.

Striking that middle chord seems to be the elusive trick.
jazdale

Postby Yoda » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:41 am

Sell factory scheduled maintenance first. Then perform a multipoint inspection and sell ONLY needed repairs. Then sell yourselves to the customer by giving them quality work at a fair price.
Yoda

Postby KA » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:44 am

jazdale : You said it better and shorter !
KA

Postby PB » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:27 pm

Seems like Midas, Jiffy Lube, and NTB make it on the news quite a bit lately...and not good news!

If there is a problem...fit it!

If not...leave it alone!

Build rappore with your customers and the rest will take care of itself!
PB

Postby huggi » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:40 pm

Wow, I'm kind of grossed out right now. There should be something that seperates the dealership from the independents. That is factory certification and experienced technicians. Take some pride instead of lowering yourself to selling because other people are profitable. Drug dealers are profitable too, but it doesn't make there job right.
huggi

Postby TheOne » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:55 am

"Wow, I'm kind of grossed out right now. There should be something that seperates the dealership from the independents. That is factory certification and experienced technicians. Take some pride instead of lowering yourself to selling because other people are profitable. Drug dealers are profitable too, but it doesn't make there job right."

No offense intended personally, but this is exactly the mentality that created the two tier system (Dealer/Aftermarket)that is in place today.

The insinuation is that the aftermarket is dishonest because they "sell". This is in my opinion a huge stretch. I agree that there are people and companies within the aftermarket that sell unneeded and unwanted goods and services, but the same can be said about the dealership environment. This does not mean we can paint either end of the spectrum with a brush of dishonesty.

We have been marginalized in the maintenance and light repair business precisely because "pride" has gotten in our way. As an industry we FAILED to listen to our customers just as the manufacturers have failed to listen to us their customers. Until we learn to set aside "pride" and learn to listen to our customers wants and desires we are going to continue to get our tails kicked by the aftermarket. Our decades old strategy does not work.

Express lubes for example are a good idea that I believe do not work well in the standard dealership model. It isn't necessarily the facilities that don't work, it's the culture. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to drive by a Jiffy Lube and realize, "Wow here is where the customers I lost are going". It is also takes no leap of imagination to figure out why. With this in mind is it any wonder the factory is pushing us to move into the express lube business?

I have like many of you for many years refused to compete with the aftermarket on their turf, choosing instead to try to force them to compete on ours. Factory parts used to be demostrably better. It wasn't very hard to set two distributor caps side by side and ask the customer to pick out the cheap aftermarket knock off. Now they are the same part. The gaps that we used too be able to exploit to differentiate ourselves from the aftermarket in a positive manner have narrowed. This is no accident. There are many bright people working hard to chisel at our business for many years now. We have been working defense looking to protect what we see as "ours". This strategy has and will continue to fail. At best it will do nothing more than slow the erosion of our businesses. My choice is to view the market as a SINGLE market. I am working in simple support groups building my shop as a series of mini shops all working specific measurable systems that allows me to evaluate them as individual franchises. As the shop continues to grow and solidify I look for the next piece of the puzzle to add that allows me to profitably compete with the aftermarket on their playground of price and convenience while selling competence and equipment as "value added". I can match or beat them on their best features, but they cannot touch me on mine.
TheOne

Postby bsilcox » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:56 pm

KA and PB Let's get back to the first question I believe that this person was asking for feedback not a slam! How about some honest feedback on the real issue. Any body in Dealer World does not believe that the aftermarket is eating our breakfast, lunch and dinner then why are they growing in major market areas. Jiffy Lube, Grease Monkey, Rapid Lube, Oil Can Henrys, Etc. why are they growing is beacuse of the feelings in Dealer World.......Why do the Tire Stores out SELL up in Tires, Brakes, Alignments and suspension parts beacuse they wear out and Dealer World does not do a good job at selling these items. I totally agreed with selling the factory recommended services but If any of you can survive on that tell me HOW?? I totally believe in SELLING what the vehicles need at every visit and If any of you are doing a complete inspection of the vehicle, every visit, every time shame on you!!. Give the customers a reason to do business with you. Competitive time lines on maintenance and repairs, especially oil changes and the like. But also the other needed repairs. Be competitive and shop your market area now what everybody is charging, Match or Beat price policies! You gals and guys know the ropes wake up and take care of your customers.

Should we sell struts and shocks at 50K or above like the aftermarket does with the customer's approval as a "Maintenance Item" with a price match guarantee for 30 days and a RIDE guarantee for 30 days just like the aftermarket??????????????????????????

------------------
Bob Silcox
bsilcox

Postby TheOne » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:14 am

You tell em Bob!
TheOne

PreviousNext

Return to Service & Body Shop Managers