Selling Struts and Shocks

Postby bsilcox » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:33 pm

http://www.4amra.com/msp/MapinImportAuto.pdf

Here is an article to read! This is from the M.A.P. program I think it's a good read for those you don't think we should be checked and recommending struts and shocks at 50K plus.

Please advise feeling about this article?

------------------
Bob Silcox
bsilcox

Postby KA » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:59 am

bsilcox : Maybe I let my personal feelings for the thread starter get the best of me. HOWEVER if you read my post , I did not entirely dis-agree...............

I cannot imagine ANY one person on here can say their inspection process is perfect ? My example vehicle was my wifes Tahoe. It has 79K and the axle seal and cooler lines were never mentioned ? Does it need shocks ? MORE than likely ! Sure it was a new employee , but how many other times has that happened ?

My point was that we need to do a complete inspection . I believe that if you are a service advisor and you cannot ask the customer for the sale with COMPLETE estimate in hand , you should look for other work.

My other point is I still believe most places like sucking the gravy off the top and not taking care of needed items that were missed ................? I feel that is one big reason why dealerships lose customers.

Are you going to tell me that not even one tech in your shop will try to sell something that he can make more time on , and somehow forget something it really needs ? I could rant about this forever but I hope this clears up what I was trying to get at.

That being said I agree with most of what you wrote. Except : "I totally believe in SELLING what the vehicles need at every visit and If any of you are doing a complete inspection of the vehicle, every visit, every time shame on you!!" I would assume that is a key punch error ?

My opinion was that one should not try to implement shocks as a selected service UNLESS every other process is completed correctly......

That is what the difference between us and the aftermarket should be.Not sucking the gravy and using scare tactics to increase profits.

Don't get me wrong , We all work to make money and make MORE of it every year. I love the taste of gravy ( money ),and
what happens when I become to fat ? My wife ( customer ) leaves me for another dude ( aftermarket shop )?
KA

Postby bsilcox » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:36 pm

KA; Thanks for the Comments!

------------------
Bob Silcox
bsilcox

Postby PB » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:38 pm

Let me clarify myself. I'm not stating that all independents or dealers are bad. We have several independents located nearby and they are very reputable shops. They also agree that selling struts or shocks at 50,000 mile is just ridiculous.

Also, if you are not doing a vehicle inspection on every service visit you are the one making the mistake. It should be done from day one and the customer given a copy of the report. It builds an unbelievable trust between the customer and you.

Must have done something right over the years we are #1 in the country in CSI at our dealer an up 34% year over year!

BUILDING TRUST = HAPPIER CUSTOMERS + PROFIT
PB

Postby john » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:02 pm

Selling shocks and struts is not the answer to juicing the CP sales.

WHY?

1.Most dealers will loose 70% of their high mileage CP customers at the tire event. At 40,000 to 60,000 miles, the customer will respond to an ad in the newspaper for cheap tires and will be lost forever because of free tire rotations.
BYE-BYE brake jobs at 60k, alignments, flushes, belts, hoses, shocks and struts at 80k, water pumps and alternators at 100k, etc.
2.Since most dealers do not have a robust MPI process from day one of ownership, the customer sees no major reason to sit in traffic for 20 minutes, drive 10 miles out of his way, and pay more for generic service at your dealership. Jiffy Lube or Tire City will do just fine.
3.And since most dealers do not have a robust MPI process that gently sells the special nature of your personal service, I can go anywhere to get service (What difference does it make where I get the work done an oil change is just an oil change).
4.And since the service advisors do not know how to leverage a clean MPI at 3000, 6000, 9000, ------- 25,000 into a loyal customer that is totally sold out and a powerful advocate for your service - A customer who is willing to sit in traffic for 20 minutes, drive 10 miles out of his way, and pay more for personal/professional service at your dealership. Beyond all that, who cares if you sell another 3 sets of shocks a month.
5.And since most dealerships do not have a robust tire program to prevent customer defection to the tire stores (the key defection point for your customers), the opportunity to sell shocks and struts will be few and far between.
6.And when the appointment is made, since nobody is talking about the walk around, the MPI, and the discussion of service history at write-up, customers feel like you are trying to jam stuff down their throat when they come in and advisors get gun shy about selling anyway.
7.And since a poor MPI sales presentation occurs when things are found that need attention, the customer is confused and feels like just getting the basics done. The Advisor that cant sell a 30k will not be able to sell shocks and struts at 90k.

So --- stop trying to go for the easy answers until a proper selling system is in place and your people know what they are doing. Independent shop sales are up 5% because we let it happen. We dont give our customer a reason to prefer us.

As our industry changes, the weak stores will die and the professionally managed ones will survive. In the next 5 years, fixed ops will be a big reason for customers voting with their money for your survival or failure. Get serious about the business and about making you operation as professional as possible. Those who survive will be leaner, meaner, more efficient, more aware, and very profitable in the future.

John (pika68@aol.com)
john

Postby bsilcox » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:30 pm

John:

I agree with you a 100%! As we all know the strong will survive in a down market place. The Franchised Dealer especially the Domestics for a long time ran away more work than they did because of Warranty! But, in todays market where the Domestics are as good or better that the Imports we need to take back that business!
However the first questions was should we be selling struts and/or shocks at 50K plus as a maintenance item????????????
http://www.4amra.com/msp/MapinImportAuto.pdf

What is the overall opinion of the Forum?

------------------
Bob Silcox
bsilcox

Postby fixed-op emperor » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:42 pm

Bob-
The article has some compelling statistics but is based on studies from a subjective source. Four manufacturers of shocks and struts will never suggest that OEM parts last the life of the vehicle. We don't replace half as many shocks/struts as we did in the 80's but we know that gas charging has increased the durability substantially. The old bounce test still works especially if you can show the customer and compare to a similar vehicle with good shocks. If you need a guideline to start suggesting replacement use 75,000 and sell them at an interval when there are no other major maintenance items. Do the bounce test in the drive-thru with the customer present. If it passes you just built more credibility with your customer. If it fails make sure you have competitive pricing and more than 1 option.
fixed-op emperor

Postby Gerry Laughlin » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:22 pm

John,
I missed your post the other day. You are right on the mark.
Gerry
Gerry Laughlin

Postby Gerry Laughlin » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:22 pm

John,
I missed your post the other day. You are right on the mark.
Gerry
Gerry Laughlin

Postby cantfind122 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:16 pm

Just throwing this out as food for thought so be kind. I consider myself a fairly averyage person. Okay maybe a little lazy. Anyway I grew up in the car biz. Came out of the aftermarket to a dealer and then two manufacturers. So there is the background. I have a running joke with every shop I visit and that is "I change my oil every 60k whether it needs it or not." So here's the deal...I'm have very mixed feelings about the whole thing as a consumer.I left the aftermarket because I was tired of inferior and non fitting parts being sold. I went to a dealer and became the consumate factory guy. However, I noticed that many "factory" parts were sourced from vendors (duh) and if the aftermarket was selling name brand the parts were the same. I still held to the fact that service is better from the dealer because of traiing and information but herein lies the differnece and the confusion. I will go to Firestein's for tires because I its closer and has a bar across the street while I wait. However, I will not take my car their for and ABS light. Jippy lube is out of the question because I know too many people with stripped drain plugs. Listen to Ron White and you will know my opinion of Sears. I know of an independent that can that has every Volvo tool produced and can sight you Volvo Service Bulletins ever printed. So the confusion remains. Is it convenience? Is it technical ability? Or is it as simple a having a good doctor...he may be wrong at times but he makes you feel better. No opinion just thoughts.
cantfind122

PreviousNext

Return to Service & Body Shop Managers