Service Repair Information Sharing

Service Repair Information Sharing

Postby mlaffhead » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:32 pm

Guys just checking to see if any of you have policies in place for information sharing regarding service repairs and outside repair facilities and do-it-your-selfers. I am a dealer in the heavy duty trucking industry and know that in some cases information can be given or released but it seems like some of our folks feel pressured to give it to anyone who asks. In some cases it is the wrong information and ends up hurting more than helping. I am working on a policy to release to our intenral folks on what to and to not do. Just seeing if anyone else out there has something similar drawn up. Thanks, Mike.
mlaffhead

Re: Service Repair Information Sharing

Postby btk » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:03 pm

I am not sure if you are referring to repair data from a vehicle... but if you are , we share only that information with the owner of the vehicle, any one else can call the owner to get service records or pay for a carfax and hope for the best, but with the privacy laws that are in place I would be hesitant on giving out any information other then to the person or company who brought the car in.
btk

Postby mlaffhead » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:39 pm

Thanks btk. I am more or less referring to an indepent shop calling in and asking for torque specs or actual "how to" repair procedures.
mlaffhead

Postby fuzzmanmatt » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:00 pm

ALL of that information is on Alldata. Alldata for one VIN is cheaper than a Haynes manual. The simple way? "I don't have access to that information, only my technicians do. Sorry about that."
***** Cadillac, ***** ******, MI.
Not my employer's fault I post here!
fuzzmanmatt

Return to Service & Body Shop Managers