Tech pay for Inpsections?

Tech pay for Inpsections?

Postby kevinm » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:07 pm

This is an age old question, but what does everyone doing for paying flat rate techs for MPVI's?

I am fairly new to a GM store that has been hourly tech pay since inception and have put in a flat rate pay plan starting April 1st (no joke).

Needless to say, the line techs are a little on edge... Especially the ones that I am paying 40 hours to that are only producing 28-32 hours consistently. Now that the fact that they are going flat rate is sinking in, the questions and grumblings are coming quickly- the hot button being what they are going to get paid to do MPVI's.

As of last week the only vehicles that recieved an MPVI were oil changes, starting yesterday I put a policy in place that we will inspect 100% of the vehicles in the shop excluding some recalls and vehicles returning for special order parts within a set time frame. My thought process tells me that the same visit upsell being less than $10/RO is unacceptable, and that by inspecting all customer vehicles we are building trust with the customer so that when we DO find a legitimate repair the customer will have US do the work. My mind also tells me as a former tech and 9 year Service Manager that not paying techs to do MPVI's is pretty common- it puts the responsibility on their shoulders for helping create their own economy basically. It cannot be soley laid on the advisers to keep the techs busy 100% of the time, its a team effort!

So, now that I have spewed all that out, what does everyone else do for MPVI pay? (We currently pay techs .6 for a LOF/MPVI, NO time for an MPVI without LOF).

Thanks!
kevinm

Re: Tech pay for Inpsections?

Postby X476 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:34 pm

Though I am not an expert by any means, tech should not paid for inspections, their pay comes from what NEEDED repairs they find. Make sure you get your advisors trained up on selling skills so they can effectively sell what is found.
We did this in the dealer I used to be at, techs complained for about a month, 6 months later they were happy and could not believe they didn't do it before.
GOOD LUCK
X476

Postby btk » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:12 am

We do not pay for inspections

One note on flat rate.. i dont know if you are aware but if you are going to true flat rate... you might want to proceed with caution, many techs are aware of a significant case with flat rate and not being paid for down time(idle time). We have gone from true flat rate to a modified version that pays on incentive(flat rate) and a base pay for down or non productive time. The court case was won by the technicians and has really brought the spotlight on flat rate system. It was/is a gamechanger for flat rate systems. just fyi
good luck
btk

Postby drapp » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:22 pm

I would like to know more about the court case. Do you have a link or any other information to share?

We don't pay anything extra for MPVI.

I would like to know how you reconcile a repair order with .6 labor hours for a LOF. You must be showing a healthly loss on every LOF.
drapp

Postby btk » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:10 pm

Drapp,

Look online to get more details of the court case-I think it is mostly a California issue right now but I might be wrong. If you google LA motors sued by technician or something like that you will find all the details.This seems to be the way the wind is blowing.... I think service advisors and parts employees are the next ones to go on an hourly pay plan, thanks in part to Obama signing that executive order last week for overtime rules. It should be interesting if this employee case is upheld. It will be a game changer for every business that pays commission to any employee. Good luck
btk

Postby kathi » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:02 pm

We replaced the engine in a customer's vehicle with a GM reman. engine. Vehicle is still well within the 3-year or 100,000 mile warranty period. Customer has an oil leak now and wants to bring it in later this week. If it's going to be covered, which I'm assuming it likely will be, what transaction type do we use? ZPTI? Is there anything "special" required on our part? Does my tech need to call TAC first? Just curious if anyone out there can help this newbie?
kathi

Postby Bailo1 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:48 pm

ZPTI is correct. You'll handle it as you would any other parts warranty claim. Make sure the original RO date and mileage get input on the claim and you should be fine.
Bailo1

Postby pomi » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:47 pm

How do you compare a single-point Olds store (which did have a CPVS of $232) to a GMC store (which had a CPVS of $287) and say they average out to $259. I mean come on, the Olds store will always be low, and the GMC store will always be high
Last edited by pomi on Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
pomi

Postby pyota1845 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:37 pm

We do not pay for inspections. It is COE.
pyota1845

Return to Service & Body Shop Managers