Billing customer for partial qts of oil...????

Billing customer for partial qts of oil...????

Postby dave1959 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:11 pm

How are you handling the issue of cars that take a partial quart of oil... In the past we have either rounded up or down depending on the tech.
We have had several instances of customers coming back after an oil change and having an issue with paying for the extra partial quart or an issue with not
putting in the correct amount.
I am at a Toyota store and for 2014 Toyota's use 14 ifferent oil volumes...3.3 , 4.5, 4.6, 6.6, 6.7 etc..etc...etc...

Is anyone else having this problem and how are you handling it..???
dave1959

Re: Billing customer for partial qts of oil...????

Postby NissanWill » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:43 pm

We get it every once in a while, but we simple state that the prices are set in the computer, and not with the machine. We can't do partial pumps, be we charge according to the amount.

Using whole quarts has it plus side, more than its down side, which is only when the random customer comes in.
It makes up for spills, give away, over pumps. It is a keeper, and we just let the customer know that the computer does not know partial amounts, but the charge reflects it. They usually take that and are fine with it.

Plus, you ask your PM to switch from Quarts to anything smaller, and you will hear 1,000 more reasons why that is a bad idea. You would end up with a variance that you don't want to deal with.

May I ask how you have your Oil Change set up? The PM should be using a KIT, it all depends on the system you are on, but we use ADP drive, and it shows up as a LOF (Lube, Oil, Filter).
We at Nissan only use a couple.

LOF5 - Bills 5 quarts uses 65F0E filter
LOF6 - Bills 6 quarts uses 9E01A filter
LOF7 - Bills 7 quarts uses 9E01A filter
LOF5S - Bills 5 quarts but uses small 65F0E filter

In the end, we "bill" more than we use, which is 100% of the time a good idea, but the kit shows the customer a LOF bill, which yes, does have a break down, be we have a set price fro all Oil changes other than the LOF7, which is the huge trucks and SUVs. This makes only two charge amounts, and the ability to save on oil actually brings the overall price down as we always have a surplus in the tank when month end rolls around.

If you want, you can contact me and I can help you out with the numbers we have ran and why we do this.
NissanWill

Return to Service & Body Shop Managers