SPIFFS FOR TECHS AND ADVISORS

SPIFFS FOR TECHS AND ADVISORS

Postby CHADP » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:31 pm

I am looking for spiff ideas for my techs and advisors. I am a relatively new Service Manager at a Chevy Cadillac store, however I do have 20 years dealership experience as a Parts Manager and Body Shop Manager. The dealership is in Ohio and we currently have 13 techs with 3 of them lube techs. The current spiff program we have stinks and there is NO incentive to upsell. I am open to any ideas you are willing to share.

Also we are currently paying our advisors a spiff off their GM surveys. Does anyone elso do this?
CHADP

Re: SPIFFS FOR TECHS AND ADVISORS

Postby Rykid50 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:54 pm

parts manager myself here but our techs get spiffed $2 per hour after 50 hours. As far as our writers I don't think they get spiffed at the moment.
Rykid50

Re: SPIFFS FOR TECHS AND ADVISORS

Postby FixedManager » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:45 am

Spiffs are a short term solution for a long term problem and I use them very sparingly. I don't know which is worse, the occasional super salesman or the expectation of always being paid a spiff.

I believe that the pay plans should be designed to produce the results you are looking for as Rykid alluded to. Tiered pay scales for production technicians and different rates for maintenance work. If they work in a team environment all members must be close in hours turned to get bonuses.

Advisers would have tiers for hours per R.O., parts to labor ratio, and percentage of additional lines. I always pay for each tire sold with a higher value if it is sold during the walk-around.

I give high pay rates but I put bonuses in the pay plans as if they were an NFL player: CSI, training, most tires sold, highest hours per R.O., no complaints, no bad comments on CSI reports, no bad Dealer Rater posts, clean bays/work areas, highest parts/labor ratio, no vehicle damage, highest profit per R.O., and many more.

It's been my experience that spiffs accomplish two things; higher payrolls and customers complaining about being oversold. Just my 2¢ worth. ;)
FixedManager

Return to Service & Body Shop Managers