Employee Process Adherance Issues

Employee Process Adherance Issues

Postby Bailo1 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:34 pm

So, we're a small GM dealer using service workbench. Have been on it for 3 years. I've been in charge of service for a little over 1 year. GM has really started to crack down on use of a specific process for EVERY vehicle. Basically, print the MPVI off and give it to the customer, sell sell sell, etc...

It's a good process and both my advisors do a good job of starting a menu and MPVI on every repair order. The problem is, often one writer in particular does not follow procedure by presenting the MPVI to the customer and letting them know their vehicle was in good shape (all green). Became an issue this week when we got mystery shopped and the shopper noted in her questionnaire that the MPVI process was never so much as mentioned to her at any point in the visit. GM came unglued, as did I when I read this. Called advisor into my office and told him this was a process he had to follow, not an option.

GM wants to begin having advisors and customers sign a copy of the printed MPVI on every repair order so we can track whether or not the MPVI is truly discussed with the customer. If no signed copy of the MPVI is turned in, writer and tech both do not get paid for that particular service.

I understand the GM's thought process here and will not argue. I will do as he tells me but I'm just curious if any other SMs out there have encountered similar issues. This particular employee has been here for over 30 years and does not typically do well with change (old dog, new trick thing). He was hired by the owner (GM's father) back when and is relatively protected in terms of job security. I'm just wondering if I'm missing something here as far as a great idea to ensure these MPVIs are being given to every customer. I plan on monitoring from now on and checking myself, just wondering if anyone has any other ideas.
Bailo1

Re: Employee Process Adherance Issues

Postby FixedManager » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:19 pm

I like that you've worded this as a process issue. As such most of these issues break down to process, personnel, or management. Good processes aren't written in stone for eternity. Occasionally you will need to look at them with all the personnel involved and see if there's any tweaks or revisions necessary.

I think it's a good idea to have the vehicle owner sign the reports and I have mine do just that so I agree with your General Manager. So that part of the process could be changed. As you've already stated the management part needs to be worked on with the addition of monitoring. However unless your employees are under a contract an employer cannot withhold pay for a completed job.

I would also say you have another broken process. It doesn't matter how long the employee has been on the job, they need to be coached, trained, and disciplined like any other. There cannot be any sacred cows when it comes to employee handling. You must write this employee up just like any other or face consequences later which could be with severe when it comes to legal actions. By not doing anything you open a problem with other employees. You must do your job, if the owner doesn't want to take action that's up to him.
FixedManager

Return to Service & Body Shop Managers