scrap

Re: scrap

Postby Whiner » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:32 pm

We go to our office and get a warranty schedule that meets one of the following:

1 - We need to see a list of warranty claims paid prior to xx/xx/xx. Where xx/xx/xx is equal to at least 15 days ago, although to be safe we generally make the date 30 days ago. This gives us a buffer to make certain we haven't thrown away something we shouldn't have.

2 - We need to see a list of unpaid warranty claims. We use this list to check ourselves to be sure we have the parts we are supposed to have.

3 - We need a list of all paid warranty claims with the date paid. With this list we can scrap based on the date the office posted the credit. The office cannot post the credit until the day it is received so we cannot scrap too early.

We tried the Global Warranty list but it wasn't for us.

Your office should be able to get you any version of the above (depending on your DMS) and a lot of other various ways to do this. There is no excuse not to give this to you, it is the dealer's money and you are trying to protect it.
Whiner

Postby overlook » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:29 pm

Ahhh! The old GM Warranty Parts Scrap Program. Now there's an exercise in futility.

I've tried the Global Warranty Management list that GM recommends, I've went the schedule route (both paid and unpaid), I've even tried using the actual credit memo's. They all have their pros and cons (mostly cons).

The system I found that works for me is to keep a running list of retained parts Repair Order...err excuse me, Job Card numbers. Go into Global Warranty Management and View Transactions By Job Card Number, note the Submitted Date (first column) and scrap 15 days from that date.

Make sure the claim is actually paid by checking the Actions column (last column), should show Credit/Debit only. Or, if it's blank or shows Correct that means the claim has not been paid.

Which ever way you decide to go be prepared to spend a lot of time and effort retaining and scrapping parts...There is no easy, efficient way to handle this program.

Hope this helps ;)
overlook

Postby Dean@CT » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:59 pm

We only scrap parts once a quarter. This assures no parts get tossed. We sticker the warranty parts with a colored sticker, one color for each quarter. Once the quarter is over, we verify all claims are paid, all parts requested are received then we toss every part with an old sticker on it. This has saved us THOUSANDS. Albeit the only issue is you need some bigger shelves. Being a heavy duty truck dealer we have a fairly large area for our scrap and save to begin with.
Dean@CT

Postby Whiner » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:02 am

Dean@CT wrote:We only scrap parts once a quarter. This assures no parts get tossed..."

This type of thing will work. However, any parts that are retained can be inspected and found to be suspect, even when you are not required to have them. Best to rid yourself of all paid parts if you are given advance warning of a "helpful" visit.
Whiner

Postby roncox » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:33 pm

you better check on time frame to retain parts I believe it is 15 days after claim pays
roncox

Return to Warranty Administrators