Warranty Puzzle #1

Warranty Puzzle #1

Postby 40+ » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:27 pm

Attention Service and Warranty Admins:

I already know the answer.

See how well you understand Warranty:

A vehicle comes in with the ABS light on.

According to VISS...The vehicle is a 2007 Chevy Colorado with 50177 miles.
The in-service date is August 8, 2007. The RO/Job Card was written on Feb 1, 2012. VISS shows no history of any warranty claims.

The Technician diagnoses the vehicle as needing a L/F Wheel Speed Sensor and Hub because of the C0035 DTC.

Is the replacement of either or both parts covered under any warranty?

If you believe so... explain the warranty coverage.

There are 2 possible Lab Ops that could be used if warrantable. Should you use one or both? Explain why.

What Lab OP/OPS should be used for this claim?

What is the TOTAL labor amount TIME, that could be claimed for this complaint if warrantable, without using more than .3 Diagnostic time OR .3 OLH. Explain your justification for the TOTAL labor amount, whether you used one or two Lab Ops.

Feel free to take a shot at the answers if you care to.

I will post the correct answers on Valentine's Day.

------------------
I have worked for GM dealers for 40+ years. I am a glutton for punishment.

[This message has been edited by 40+ (edited 02-04-2012).]

40+

Warranty Puzzle #1

Postby Backlash » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:43 am

What is wrong with the hub?
Backlash

Warranty Puzzle #1

Postby 40+ » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:27 pm

I tried to pose the puzzle giving as little info as possible without giving away the answer.

The big clue is the C0035 DTC. However, it does take a bit of research to isolate the justification of replacing both parts with the minimal info I provided.

So... I will offer more detail.

The TECH made reference to Doc ID# 2319397.
Line 5 Event History = 00220222

That should make the puzzle a bit easier.

[This message has been edited by 40+ (edited 02-06-2012).]

40+

Warranty Puzzle #1

Postby overlook » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:38 pm

"Is the replacement of either or both parts covered under any warranty?"
Yes and no...The sensor would be covered under the vehicles base warranty. The hub would be covered under the powertrain warranty.

"There are 2 possible Lab Ops that could be used if warrantable. Should you use one or both?"
One labor op.
"Explain why."
To avoid a Pyramid and or overlapping labor op situation.

"What Lab OP/OPS should be used for this claim?"
E2321

"What is the TOTAL labor amount TIME, that could be claimed for this complaint if warrantable, without using more than .3 Diagnostic time OR .3 OLH. Explain your justification for the TOTAL labor amount, whether you used one or two Lab Ops."

S=1.6
T=1.8
OLH=0.3 with appropriate clock time for the electrical (C0035 DTC) diagnosis.

Doc ID #2319397 also states: "Note: The wheel speed sensor and hub are no longer serviced as an assembly. When replacing the hub, the sensor must also be replaced. Locate the appropriate wheel speed sensor part number using the Electronic Parts Catalog for the vehicle in questions application."

This is a good question. On the one hand the sensor itself is covered under the base warranty only. The hub is covered under the powertrain warranty. At one time both sensor and hub were one complete assembly. This claim could be submitted in one of two ways: First- Use E2321 (powertrain warranty)with base time plus olh for diagnosis and the failed part as the speed sensor. Claim will require authorization for OLH, excess parts and possibly incompatable part. Secondly-Use H2411 (goodwill assistance/customer satisfaction) with base time plus diagnosis and the failed part as the speed sensor. Claim will require authorization for beyond warranty, excess parts and possibly incompatable part.

I would use, with service management approval, E2321 with appropriate authorization along with a good cause and correction statement referencing Doc ID#2319397.

....but, thats just me.

overlook

Warranty Puzzle #1

Postby Richard » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:46 pm

Spoiler Alert****

Another reason you have to replace the sensor is because when this particular hub fails, it wears the rear of the hub out, and grinds into the ABS Sensor causing it to fail. You claim the hub under Powertrain and the sensor as colleteral damage.
Richard

Warranty Puzzle #1

Postby 40+ » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:39 pm

Sorry for my late reply.

Good replies!

The Hub labor op ONLY is correct and claiming 1.8 to replace it. .3 OLH to diagnose and replace sensor is reasonable. Claim will reject if you claim Diag time for a Hub lab op if there are no add conditions. Possible self authorization needed for the .3 ( depending on your empowerment ). Possible self authorization needed for excess part( sensor ) depending on your empowerment.

Claim total time = 2.1

As you mentioned, the sensor is not covered by powertrain, but the claim will pay. Adding the notes of the Doc Id justifies the replacement of the sensor.

You could ( as mentioned ) claim the sensor as collateral damage.

Good Job!!!

The upcoming Puzzle #2 will be a brain scorcher.....

40+

[This message has been edited by 40+ (edited 02-15-2012).]

40+

Return to Warranty Administrators