Employee turnover

Employee turnover

Postby Bob_Murray » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:58 pm

What is your dealership doing to help address employee turnover in your organization?
Bob_Murray

Employee turnover

Postby kcatdeejay » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:00 pm

If you ignore this issue long enough, it will go away, right ? WRONG !!!! Kind of like the way this question has been ignored for three weeks in this forum. I've never seen anyone who has this problem ever address this issue-it's simply not their fault ! Blame the employees, barometric pressure, global warming, anything but the root cause-something has to be inherently wrong within the organization to cause a mass exodus of employees. If a dialogue is working between management and the employees, this type of thing can be avoided or remedied. In most cases, retaining good employees probably costs much less than hiring and training new ones. Sometimes, it isn't even money but possibly a situation created by someone or something which makes employment intolerable and undesirable there. I've always practised MBWA and actively solicited input from those who worked for me in order to preclude such events. I know of one place that turned 150 employees in two years, but was most recently at a place that could give that figure a run for its money.

[This message has been edited by kcatdeejay (edited 09-07-2005).]

kcatdeejay

Employee turnover

Postby daponik » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:18 pm

How does the old saying go? People don't leave companies...they leave managers. Take a look at any department that rapidly turns over employees. Odds are that department is being run by a tyrant or someone who isn't a team player. Is it worth it to lose 10 solid employees because one manager is inept?
daponik

Employee turnover

Postby scotstrong » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:22 am

That reinforces one of the fundamentals that they teach in personnel management -- if you have continual turnover in a position, the true problem is usually found at the next level up. This is also true of management -- if you have continual turnover of managers, the true problem can usually be found at the GM or dealer principal level.

Scot Strong
scotstrong

Employee turnover

Postby fburrows » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:09 am

I think everything depends on the philosophy of the owner. I worked for a large family owned dealership for 30 years. The father believed that his most important asset were his employees. The business was a huge success. When the son took over he felt that employees were fortunate to work for his great company. The difference in turnover, CSI, and profitability was staggering.

------------------
Frank Burrows ABS
fburrows@absdata.com
fburrows

Employee turnover

Postby kcatdeejay » Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:45 pm

Unfortunately, Frank, those with that philosophy are a dying breed. The PHD's are now piloting the ships and they all, for the most part, know far more than their fathers ever did. Recently left a place that turned every manager from 2-5 times in a period of only nineteen months. I was the last to go. Oh, did I mention that they are rock bottom in CSI ?? Now there's a surprise ! Needless to say, in addition to all the managers, the turnover in general with all the employees is quite staggering. Look up 'clueless' in your Funk & Wagnalls, you should see their pictures there.
kcatdeejay

Employee turnover

Postby pjpeery » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:28 am

kcatdeejay

what more can be said .. i agree 1000%

i have worked (key here is worked ) for some nasty managers .. where i am now i have been for 11 years .. not all roses but feels like home .. sure i could go elsewhere for more money .. not me not any more

thanks for your reply i enjoyed it

paul
pjpeery

Employee turnover

Postby kcatdeejay » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:34 pm

pjpeery

You prove another point I've tried to make over the years and that is simply that money is the final disssatisfier. People actually leave for other reasons under the guise of getting more money. The good employers create an environment which doesn't foster poor ESI-which I feel comes before excellent CSI. I like to use the analogy that I've served up some gourmet performances in the 'kitchens' I've worked in, but unfortunately, all most of them knew was "Super-size" me".

[This message has been edited by kcatdeejay (edited 09-17-2005).]

[This message has been edited by kcatdeejay (edited 09-22-2005).]

kcatdeejay

Employee turnover

Postby tcollins » Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:30 pm

When you think about it, there is only three reasons people leave, poor hiring practices, poor training, or poor management.
tcollins

Employee turnover

Postby MCausey » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:50 pm

I keep hearing that the best way to improve employee turnover is to hire smarter. What are you doing to make your hiring process more effective? Background checks? Peer reviews? Thanks, Michael
MCausey

Next

Return to CFO, Controller & Office Manager