HOLIDAY BENEFITS

HOLIDAY BENEFITS

Postby jenm » Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:26 pm

As we're all well aware, the slow months seem to be getting slower with the economy and all. What are others doing to eliminate/decrease of the 'traditional' employee Christmas Party? This tends to cost us thousands each year. Any suggestions?
jenm

HOLIDAY BENEFITS

Postby jazdale » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:29 am

I can understand the need to tighten the belt, but the negative message of no party this year after years of tradition may be very demoralizing.
Since most employees are commission based (in one form or another) they already experienced a hard year of lower income.
If nothing else, its a thank you for toughing it out for another year of dedication.
Just my opinion, of course.
jazdale

HOLIDAY BENEFITS

Postby PROUSER » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:53 pm

ONE OF THE DEALERSHIPS I WORKED FOR ONLY BOUGHT A LUNCH TRAY AND SOME POP FOR OUR (LUNCH) PARTY.

YOU COULD ALWAYS CHANGE TO THAT TYPE OF PARTY TO FURTHER REDUCE YOUR COSTS.

EVEN THOGH HE WAS A CHEAPSKATE ALL OF THE EMPLOYES CHIPPED IN AND BOUGHT HIM A VERY EXPENSIVE OVERCOAT -HE OPENED IT AND SAID IN FRONT OF EVERYONE -"THANKS-IT'S THE WRONG SIZE".

NEXT WEEK 3 TRUCKLOADS OF USED CARS SHOWED UP -(OR THE DEALER GOT TAXED ON ALL THE XTRA PROFIT FROM THE YEAR -HEAVEN FORBID HE SHOULD USE A COUPLE OF THOSE DOLLARS TO THANK ALL THE PEOPLE WHO WORKED SO HARD FOR HIM EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR)
PROUSER

HOLIDAY BENEFITS

Postby JustBob » Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:48 pm

Once had an employer give me a $50 U.S. Savings Bond - his cost about $28 at the time. Matured in several years. Also added the $28 to my W-2 for tax purposes. Was a CPA firm not a car dealer. Left a real good impression.

PS - buying used cars for inventory at the end of the year does not reduce profits. Might help with LIFO inventory adjustment/recapture however.
JustBob

HOLIDAY BENEFITS

Postby Lhansen » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:26 am

Hi All:

It is interesting to see how various dealerships handle their Christmas Parties. I consult with many dealerships around the country. While conducting employee focus groups, this subject has come up several times. The one recurring theme that I find is that most employees like something that includes their spouse and children. Some have Sunday afternoons with Santa, in the showroom. The children visit with Santa and recieve an age appropriate gift. The refreshments are cookies and punch. The families, some including grandparents, show up and seem to like this venue.
One dealership I work with rents out a local bowling alley and has a Sunday afternoon with pizza, the bowling alley "bar" available on a cash basis and the local football game on big screen t.v. Santa also arrives at this party with gifts for the kids.
I remember the days of lavish evenings out, dancing and dining and dealer awards. For the most part, that kind of gala has disappeared.
Hope this helps.

Linda Hansen
Auto Dealer Focus www.autodealerfocus.com
Lhansen

HOLIDAY BENEFITS

Postby Old Irish » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:45 am

Our dealer stills throws a "gala" style Christams party. We usually have about 120 employees....that means the party is about 200 people.

We hold the party at the country club....dinner, music, dancing. The dealer himself acts as "Master of Ceremonies" and gives away umpteen gifts and prizes---- all expense weekends at nice hotels, tickets to sports events, etc. He also announces "Employee of the Year". It usually runs about $15k but I don't think he has entertained any ideas of ending the tradition. I really think he *likes* doing it.

Most employees are very appreciative. There's always a few that actually complain that this-or-that wasn't to their liking. Geez. Sometimes you just gotta wonder.....

Merry Christmas
DD

Old Irish

HOLIDAY BENEFITS

Postby mbowers » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:55 pm

While we were editing the Dealers Edge Pay Plan manual this year we got a laugh out of one dealership that deducted $1/week from everyone's paycheck to go toward the dealer's Christmas gift.
mbowers

Return to CFO, Controller & Office Manager