In-House ADP Payroll

In-House ADP Payroll

Postby helpers1 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:59 pm

Looking for seasoned ADP WebSuite payroll users:We are flirting with signing up for in-house ADP Payroll.What are the advantages? Disadvantages? Where you able to decrease your staff? Did you have to increase your staff? We were on R&R payroll a year ago, went through a conversion to ADP, but started outsourcing payroll--not happy with it, and now are looking to bring it back and do it ourselves. And from the looks of the non-response from the users of ADP Employer Services, I'm hoping there are more users of the ADP Payroll in their DMS than of ADP Employer Services!
helpers1

In-House ADP Payroll

Postby jazdale » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:32 pm

helpers
Sorry I and others didn't reply to your first request. Though I've installed countless in-house payroll applications, I'm not real versed in the out-sourced version. I'm also guessing payroll administrators aren't big forum readers.

Here's how I see it.

Many dealers outsourced payroll for 2 primary reasons.
One was total confidentiality of the records on a separate computer system.
The second reason was all the necessary after-payroll transactions that had to take place. Direct deposits, 401k, witholdings, quarterly, and annual W2s.
Outsourcing shifted your efforts and liability to ADP for being on time with the payments.

There was a time (the 80s) when doing payroll was a simple partial day job for the office manager. Since then, its become a human resource dept where the demands of compliancy have made it more than clerical.

To get to your question, I don't think the actual processing of payroll will take longer, its everything else attached to it!!
Hiring, firing, cobra, 401k, saving acocunts, insurances, direct deposit, withholding, unemployment, reviews, disputes, the list goes on.

ADP Dealer services recently combined the deep integration of in-house payroll with the outsourced functionality of Employer services. The list is huge, and is ala carte. Items like (but not limited to)
on-line applications
Background screening of applicants
HR help desk
Direct deposit and debit pay card
EFT tax withholding submission

I'm guessing that part of your dissatisfaction is the lack of deep accounting integration that you were used to when all was in-house. I believe with outsourced, you may need to set up a department for virtually every position to have the accounting control you once had. Consider whether making this setup change would solve your issue before you make the change back to in-house.

If you choose to go back to in-house, you'll get the accounting detail back among other deep integration items like electronic time card, tech payroll interface, and web2000 statistics.
You will want to look into the ala carte items that compliment the in-house payroll package. From here you can weigh out which way to go.

I'd be happy to go offline with you on the details of your needs.

Dale
jazdale

In-House ADP Payroll

Postby Bob_Murray » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:44 pm

Helpers:

If you are going to, or someone in your organization is going to NADA, I encourage you/them to stop by the ADP booth.

Along with the additional payroll and HR services outlined by jazdale, the WEB 2006 platform has new user enhancements for payroll which may make your life easier.

Otherwise, contact your sales representative to set up a demo on the WEB version of Dealer Services Payroll and the Human Capital Management suite of solutions.
Bob_Murray

Return to CFO, Controller & Office Manager