ADP - Print to file

ADP - Print to file

Postby wellzy » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:06 am

I have been trying to save a general ledger file to a file so i can put it on a floppy. It is an archived file from 12/05. I have followed the instructions from ADP and was on the phone with them for almost an hour yesterday with no luck. I did it last year with ADP's help, but no luck this year.

We are running the 9200 system. Anyone else run into this?
wellzy

ADP - Print to file

Postby Matt Parsons » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:56 am

wellzy, did the support center not know how to do it or they can't do it for some technical reason?

[This message has been edited by Matt Parsons (edited 01-27-2006).]

Matt Parsons

ADP - Print to file

Postby wellzy » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:57 am

They tried to help, but could not. They were basically using the same instructions they had faxed me last year.
wellzy

ADP - Print to file

Postby Matt Parsons » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:13 pm

wellzy, I have contacted ADP and have a subject matter expert ready and willing to help but not sure who you are or how to reach you. Can you email me with some additional contact information or call me at (248) 205-3134.

Thanks.
Matt Parsons

ADP - Print to file

Postby jazdale » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:51 pm

I'm double guessing what your issue is, but I think this is it.

Print to file requires 'faking' the system into believing it has a slave printer.

Step 1. Go to function TRM and set up your teminal to be a PC with an attached slave printer.
It will ask for type of printer - just choose 'other'

2. Run the report you desire to run.
Answer the prompts for the report, when it asks which printer, you will choose 'attached printer'.
Just before you choose this printer, go to the toolbar and choose FILE then Logging...

3. In Logging, click to show a checkmark in 'Logging on'
Remove the checkmark for Printer.
Show a checkmark for Disk and define the location on your PC to store this file.
This will create a .txt file on your PC.
Run the report. You will see a little button at the bottom of your screen that says 'close disk'. When your screen returns to the function code prompt, click on the close disk button.

4. You can look at this file on your PC by simply double clicking to open. It should open with the NOTEPAD application.

5. If you prefer to look at it in Excel,
Open Excel and ask to open a file. Make sure you change the file type from XLS to ALL or TXT when browsing for the file, or you won't see the document as a choice. Once opened, it will ask you how you wish to parse the data into cells.

Dale
jazdale

ADP - Print to file

Postby johnny o » Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:01 pm

Try a small free utility called "GADWIN print screen" which allows you to save screen data to a file or clipboard and or even print.
http://www.gadwin.com

Works accross all windows platforms.

John
johnny o

ADP - Print to file

Postby wellzy » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:56 am

Dale
Thanks for the reply. The directions you gave me were basically what ADP gave me (except for the logging). I think the problem is that it won't let me print an archived report to file. The report is from 12/05 and we need to copy it to disc for our accountant. I am expecting a call from ADP, so hopefully we'll get it done soon.

wellzy
wellzy

Return to CFO, Controller & Office Manager