partsinventoryguy

Monthly and annual parts rec.

Postby snow1 » Tue May 02, 2006 9:37 pm

can you please send me a copy johnhickshq@yahoo.com thanks
snow1

Postby jimmuntz » Tue May 02, 2006 9:52 pm

Helper1-

I can see you hit a nerve. If you have no objection, I would like to post a copy of your process on the DealersEdge Web site for all to download. It could save you a few hundred e-mail messages. If that is acceptable, please e-mail to the address registered above.

Jim Muntz
DealersEdge
jimmuntz

Postby Mack2 » Wed May 03, 2006 9:03 am

Would also like a copy please.

glenn@structurex.net
Mack2

Postby jtr8178 » Wed May 03, 2006 8:41 pm

AllanG -

I do not understand how this can be. You always need to, at least on an annual basis, compare your "physical" inventory to your "accounting" inventory to make sure they match.

This was you know if you have any gain/loss in parts inventory. This would be impossible for a DMS to do. Using an extreme example, what if a parts employee delivers 2 engines, but only invoices the customer for one? Accounting inventory will be current, but actual inventory would be off 1. The only way you would ever know, would be to do an inventory.

I'm just a simple service manager, but this is how I understand it.
jtr8178

Postby AllanG » Thu May 04, 2006 8:41 am

I agree that at least one physical inventory count needs to be done every year. Or better still, perpetual counts done throughout the year. All I am saying is that it should not be necessary for a dealer to do manual recons of inventory and general ledger on an ongoing basis to compensate for work in process, parts returns and late / early arrival of vendor invoices. The DMS must cater for these situations.

------------------
AllanG

Postby scotstrong » Thu May 04, 2006 9:32 am

AllanG:

In order for any DMS system to have all of this info available at month end, SOMEONE has to input it into the system. All packing lists for shipments not yet billed, all returns for which credit has not yet been received, used cores, etc. would all have to be input into the system at some point. The parts manager, in addition to receipting the ordered quantities into the system would also have to enter the shipment info into the system to create a "tracking" for them to match up to the invoices posted by the accounting office. Some dealerships do already enter their returns as a "receivable" and then post the credit as a payment to that receivable account once credit is received.

So the question becomes, is it truly LESS work to make these entries throughout the month to have "instant" reconciliation at month end; or is it basically the same amount of work broken up into many individual entries instead of one manual calculation at month end. Forcing the parts manager to look at uninvoiced packing lists, uncredited returns, etc. MANUALLY at month end often results in mistakes being caught at that point or needed follow-up initiated at that point; as opposed to entering it into the DMS system throughout the month and then forgetting about until possibly a much later date. It is ALWAYS better to find a problem in the month it occurred rather than having to try and find it in several months worth of transactions and paperwork.

If the ability of the DMS system to have this info available at the push of a few buttons at month end requires as many or more man-hours to input as the manual month-end method, then it's value is rather questionable.

Scot Strong
scotstrong

Postby Matt Parsons » Thu May 04, 2006 11:39 am

I would like a copy as well. Thanks.

Matt_Parsons@adp.com
Matt Parsons

Postby drapp » Fri May 05, 2006 12:02 pm

I would also like a copy

danerapp@hotmail.com

Thank you!!