Who has the best DMS for GM Dealers?

Postby chevyguy » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:09 pm

I know I'm opening a can of worms here....But!

Who has the best DMS for a very small GM Dealer?

I recieved a call from My present DMS "Neosynergy", whom I'm sure you never heard of ! They said I'm their last account and I'd better start looking for a new provider.

I see there are 5 GM endorsed providers left.
ADP, AutoSoft, Arkona, Auto/Mate, and Quorum.

I had an internet based system with 3 stations for $350.00 a month (I know I can't come close to that again)

All I really need is accounting and payroll, Parts, Service invoicing, and F&I forms printing.

Anybody know if these providers are in financial trouble?

any and all suggestions or input would be greatly appriciated

[This message has been edited by chevyguy (edited 03-02-2009).]

chevyguy

Postby Richard » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:20 pm

What a can of worms you just opened.

IMHO; I like ARKONA for a small dealership. Price is right, and the system is robust enough. Sorry!; it doesn't come with the backscratcher and the toiler roll holder; nor does it come with click-charges, or pay-me more to get what you need features. ARKONA does do payroll, parts, F&I , ect just fine.

ARKONA was bought by DealerTrack last year. Stock seems to be doing ok. I'd say they are a stable company.

[This message has been edited by Richard (edited 03-02-2009).]

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:01 pm

I'm surprised. I figured you'd have 10 opinions by now. If you have any questions about ARKONA, I'd be happy to talk to you about it. Look at my blog website for contact info.

*PS* I do not work for ARKONA, nor am I compensated by them in any way.

------------------
GM Certified Parts Manager.
ASE P4 Certified.

http://agmpartsmanager.blogspot.com/

Views expressed by the author do not necessarily reflect those of My Employer.

Richard

Postby texaslp » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:12 pm

Arkona probably would be a good choice for a small dealership. If I were you I'd ask each vendor for a couple of references that are specifically GM dealers and close to your size. It is worth the time and effort to look and consider all of them.
texaslp

Postby chevyguy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:55 pm

Made some contact with ADP and Arkona. We're already talking price at ADP.

$17000.00 UP FRONT ! ! !!!............WOW!

Then 1000.00 a month for up to 5 logons.

Arkona's working me up a price.

What are some of you guys paying?
chevyguy

Postby texaslp » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:58 pm

email me at linda 7660 @ wcc.net
texaslp

Postby Richard » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:57 pm

I can't go into specific pricing, but there was a lump sum up front; that money goes into reserving server space, and sending the team to do your install, setting up your specific F&I forms, buyers orders, ect and training.

I don't recall how much ours was, but $17K sounds high. Not as high as the R+R quote I saw....they wanted $22K up front! Again, I can't get into specifics on pricing, but I CAN say that we are paying about 1/8th of what R+R or ADP wanted.

[This message has been edited by Richard (edited 03-05-2009).]

Richard

Postby JustBob » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:52 pm

Got what ii's worth - a previous post I made in Part Managers Forum:

Forum participants:
Is you read my profile you will see I am a representative for the 3rd largest DMS provider in the United States. I also moderate a Forum on DealersEdge for that DMS provider. This is not an advertisement but an observation of what I have witnessed in calling on, selling (or not selling), installing, training, and supporting a DMS for 15 plus years in 300 plus dealerships.
1. Assess your present DMS capabilities and costs. I can absolutely guarantee you that my customers and every other DMS providers customers has features in their DMS system they are not using. This can be a for a number of reasons unawareness, lack of training, inability, lack of desire, inapplicability, stubbornness, resistance to change, poor functionality, time to implement, lack of support, lack of management commitment, and more. Some DMS providers charge separately for various functions, some allow you to cancel individual line items on your monthly invoice. Research the invoice line by line, if you have questions ask the sales representative that sold you the system, if you do not get satisfactory answers contact someone that can provide them. If you need to then use one of the consultants that specialize in this, but if you cannot get the right answers from your DMS provider that would be one sign to look for a replacement. YOU ARE THE CUSTOMER!!!!

2. As mentioned earlier in this thread service contracts on equipment are not what they once were. It is no longer a captive market and many items are either disposable or can be repaired with local techs (a customer or potential customer). Most green screens are gathering dust in the parts departments storage and PCs are a dime a dozen, printers are readily replaceable but there are configuration issues with some DMS providers. I have a copy of an invoice from a former DMS provider charging $2.27 a month each for maintenance agreements on 14 power cords. No wonder Ross Perot made millions!! It does not take a consultant to see this is ridiculous, just some common sense.

3. In looking at alternative DMS providers

A. Identify what you are presently doing, what you want to continue doing, what you cannot do but want to do, and ask what is there the DMS provider can show you that you might not be aware of. Decide what Value these have are they must have or like to have if the cost is reasonable.

B. Discuss the shortcoming of your present DMS with your present DMS provider and why they have not been resolved. If they have not been resolved during the last agreement why would you believe they will be resolved in the future?

C. Ask the man that owns one talk to someone that has the same DMS (and version) you are looking at but not from the selected list the salesman gives you. By the same token be cautious with negative referrals a salesman gives you about other DMS providers. If he (or she) cannot sell on the merits of their product that is not a good sign. I could provide you (but will not) a name of a POd dealer for every major DMS provider. Been there got the sales because the dealer was so POd he would have bought the Golden Gate Bridge if I was selling it.

D. KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GETTING, PAYING, AND HOW LONG. Make certain that is what the contract states. Generally speaking verbal statements from salespersons that are not in the written contract are not valid that is why there is a written contract!!!! Some DMS providers have a reputation for iron clad contracts that include such items as automatic renewal if not notified of cancellation at the end of the term. Some DMS providers have a 30 day cancellation policy and IDMS contracts from GM have this. Keep in mind this is for monthly costs, typically not upfront charges.

E. Carefully analyze ALL the costs for the life of the agreement. Ask about upgrades and updates mandated by your manufactured. To you they are upgrades to some DMS providers they are profit centers. Do not extend your agreement when contracting for an upgrade. Bear in mind some DMS providers give their sales persons significant price negotiation ability but some do not. Also frequently some contracts are not valid until signed by a corporate officer of the DMS provider.

F. Realize that while you may own the data in your DMS you have to pay for the ability to access it.

G. Accept the decision Once an decision is made by management get on the bandwagon or change jobs life on earth is too short to spent POd when you walk in the door every day. Work to get the others on board.

H. Be prepared for the change. Even the best done DMS change is still change. Make certain you personnel will be available for training, do what prep work you are told to do. Be prepared for some extra stress and possibly hours. Do not schedule special projects, vacations, surgeries, quit smoking, mass staff replacements, bin replacements, and other major items during the training time. This said relocating the dealership to new facilities can be a good time to change DMS.

I. Most of the major DMS systems do the same thing and do it well, but they do it differently. Accept the end goals and during training learn how to get there. Do not skimp on training but expect the quality training you are paying for. Write down questions and get answers

J. Be prepared to pull the plug. If major unexpected issues appear that are not in agreement with what you were told and sold address them immediately. If the trainer is incompetent and knows less then you raise a red flag. True story recently replaced a major former IDMS system where the service trainer was on her first assignment with no prior experience with the software she was training on and the customer tolerated it. The blind leading those with partial vision?

K. Due diligence will not guarantee a perfect installation but failure to not exercise it will guarantee and terrible installation.

I full realize this post is in the Parts Managers Thread and you may only be the tail that is being waged. If you have any input perhaps this information can be useful.

------------------
Have a tremendous day
Bob Britting

JustBob

Postby Matt Parsons » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:22 pm

You asked so I will respond.

In terms of financial viability, ADP is one of only 5 firms (Johnson & Johnson, Microsoft, Exxon Mobil, ADP, Pfizer) left that has a AAA Bond rating. This is important in that our financial stability is without question.

With regards to NeoSynergy, I know Allen Green who was the driving force behind NeoSynergy well and am sorry to hear that his business model did not pan out. ADP has recently brought on-booard what we thought was the last NeoSynergy client (so we have direct experience in converting your DMS data to our platform). They purchased our w.e.b.Suite 1000 offering which I think you will find to be very robust and yet from a pricing perspective we can meet or beat any of the providers you listed in your original email.

If interested in having someone from ADP make contact with you, please feel free to send me an email at matt_parsons@adp.com

Lastly, I have been a moderator on the DealersEdge for approximately 7 years now, and I always refrain from selling...but in this case I feel that you asked for specific 'sales' related information so that is why I have responded in this format.

As a final note, as a GM dealer you can take advantage of the GM IDMS program which brings significant benefits to you such as a month-to-month contract with GM for your DMS, no price increases, all GM interfaces included (current and future at no additional charge), and the list goes on. ADP w.e.b.Suite 1000 is a GM Certified IDMS platform.

[This message has been edited by Matt Parsons (edited 03-17-2009).]

Matt Parsons

Postby TBDet » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:17 pm

As a GM dealer and Autosoft user for 15 years I would encourage you to look at what they have to offer. I am a 2nd generation small town dealer that has always kept a close eye on expenses and I don't think you will find an in house system that will give you any more value than what they have to offer. I saved over $45,000.00 on initial purchase of my system 15 years ago and around $800.00 per month support fees over one of the big providers. I guess I'm about $190,000.00 ahead of where I would have been. (I guess it's easy to see how that other company could have a AAA Bond rating with revenue like that!!!) We use Autosoft for accounting, service, parts, and F&I and we have found them to be very helpful. I personally like the fact that all inventory data that is transferred to other sources is sent by batch through Autosoft and then transmitted to GM. There is no outside source that has dial-in access to any of my data.
TBDet

Return to CFO, Controller & Office Manager