parts inventory

parts inventory

Postby bobT » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:59 am

I am a parts manager for an Automotive group that has 6 Nissan stores 1 Toyota and 1 Ford store in So CA. I facilitate all of our inventories for all of our stores. The inventory company comes in does the counting and I pull all the Pre numbers then the post numbers and give those numbers to the Corporate Controller. We are having a slight disagreement.
Our DMS is not one of the BIG3 nor one that has been spoken about on the sight. Was developed for a large trucking dealership and we have reworked it to fit our needs but anyway.

When we post an invoice it automaticlly hits the GL this is true for a parts invoice, RO or more importantly a parts adjustment. (heres my rub)

we take the beginning GL compare it to the counterpad. we count the inventory and make adjustments (to correct the oh qty) at the end we compare the ending GL to the counter pad. my question is shouldn't we really compare the post numbers to the pre numbers?

like I said earlier when we do an adjustment it hits the GL so in theory we will never make up the difference in the beginning numbers.

before
example Gl $100,000
counter pad $90,000
difference -$10,000

after the counter pad was increased by $12,000
GL $112,000
CP $102,000

still $10,000 short

is this correct or when doing an inventory everything should be compared to the starting numbers?

bobT

parts inventory

Postby texaslp » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:22 pm

I'm a controller and I answered your question in the parts mgr forum.
texaslp

parts inventory

Postby bobT » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:27 pm

Thanks just trying to get both opinions so one side isn't weighted more then the other
bobT

Return to CFO, Controller & Office Manager