R&R Shop supply accounting question

Postby cville1987 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:19 am

We charge 10% up to $19.50 for shop supplies on RO's. In 3636 shop supplies go to 469 sale account, but R&R won't let you add the cost of sale account. All shop supplies the shop buys go to 669. The problem is that the credit in 469 keeps building and building while the balance in 669 keeps building and building and it's never used to cover his monthly expenses in 669. So it's killing his net. We tried to explain it to the office manager, and explain that our other store has shop supplies set to 669 so that account will get credited by each RO, but she won't listen. He's getting his head kicked in at dealer 20 meetings because his shop supplies are so high. How are Reynolds guys set up in 3636?
cville1987

Postby JustBob » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:30 am

If it is working in your other store that is on the same DMS then it can be done at your store. A few necessities to get there.
1. Make sure the General Ledger Accounts are set up identical to the other store.
2. Make sure the OP Codes/Parameters are identical in both stores.
3. Make certain the Relate Tables for the Financial Statements are identical.
4. Make certain the DOC's are pulling identical accounts.

One other item - get your Office Manager cooperate and to do this - sorry I cannot help you with that one!!!

------------------
Have a tremendous day
Bob Britting

[This message has been edited by JustBob (edited 06-25-2012).]

JustBob

Postby cville1987 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:03 am

Guess there is no hope then. We were identical when we first switched to R&R, but she made them change a bunch of accounts and she does things totally the opposite of the other store. I just want to make sure that service is getting the money they are collecting in shop supplies and that his net isn't being affected by the current set up. We both get paid partially off of net and he's never ran net profit since we got here.
cville1987

Postby texaslp » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:52 pm

I'm not R&R so can't help you on the automatic posting correctly part, but if necessary the ofc mgr could make a single entry at month end to move the total amount to the correct account. Basically you should or svc mgr should be able to say "the amt collected goes to 469 and the costs goes to 669. Let her figure out how to get it there.
texaslp

Postby cville1987 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:15 pm

She isn't doing it though, and won't listen. I've been battling everyone today, about to pull my hair out.
cville1987

Postby texaslp » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:54 am

Go over her head. I mean you tried to work it out with her to no avail.
texaslp

Postby Gerry Laughlin » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:17 pm

I'm with Texas on this one, sometimes you just have to go to the DP, present your case then find out how he or she wants it done.
Gerry Laughlin

Postby cville1987 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:23 pm

Went around them both. Got it to the owner. Things are being changed and reports run. Finally. I hate being the squeaky wheel, especially when it isn't even my department, but somebody has to or it will never change. This is just the tip of the iceberg of what needs changed, but it's a step in the right direction. Thanks guys.
cville1987

Postby texaslp » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:26 pm

It would certainly irritate me if someone constantly went over my head without first trying to resolve an issue with me directly. But if that isn't working, you gotta do what you gotta do. In the future you can also approach the ofc mgr with "Hopefully you and I can resolve this together."
texaslp

Postby MovingForward » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:55 pm

Cville1987,

Congrats for getting it done. I wouldn't call it the squeaky wheel getting the grease. If I was the owner or dp I would call it an outstanding employee that is a team player. One who looks out for the whole store, not just his department. That is what being a team is all about. Good job.
MovingForward

Next

Return to CFO, Controller & Office Manager