How do you get your Used Inventory on your site?

Postby Andone » Sun Aug 20, 2000 10:45 pm

Mentioned, earlier was the Digital Lot by supersale...I hearing tons of good reviews on this product.
Has any one actually done a cost analysis of using this product to get new and used inventory online, versus, using dealer specialties, or some of the local guys.

Where do you allocate resources from to use this product? Do you have to be a big group, only to be able to use this product.
Otherwise your read only access from R&R or ADP is usually pathetic in descrption of the unit and therefore not much use to the end shopper.
Andone

Postby disllc1 » Mon Aug 21, 2000 8:46 pm

To All the Internet Sales Managers who are looking for a fast answer to the long running question of not only how, but why should I list the Pre-Owned Inventory on-line.

There is no quick fix to this question. I am an independent consultant, training and developing Internet sales strategies and have a few solutions to offer.

1.Pre-Owned inventory must be on-line and accurate. You only get one shot at the customer and if you dont show what you have YOU LOSE THE SALE.

2.As to which service is best for your dealership you need to look at the volume of used cars you sell. If the number of units is 50 of less then use a service like Dealer Specialties, if you sell more than 50 units per month then it is time to look at something like the Supersale Digitallot. It seems that the average breakeven is at 45 units.

3.Remember that when you control the information displayed on your web-site you are in control of the transaction. When you let an outside service manage your content you give up control.

4.And lastly, having Photos on-line is a very important marketing tool. It is the only true vision your customer has of your inventory before visiting your dealership. It is your calling card.

I know that this doesnt answer all the questions but it should get a few of you on your way to making a decision that is both profitable as well as functional.

------------------
Paul Montessoro
President
Dealer Internet Solutions, LLC
disllc1

Postby machado » Wed Aug 23, 2000 9:06 pm

Hang on just a second.

Its about a lot more than just dollars and cents.

Lets break the problem down from its roots.

 First of all someone has to take ownership of this project.

 We would have to depend on the salesperson who fills out the stock-in sheet
or appraisal form to be 100% accurate. What are the odds?

 Perhaps the Used Car Manager would volunteer? . Not a chance.

 Then we would need the F&I department to make sure that the DMS is loaded with ALL of the cars data Yeah, Right!!!

 Then who would do it??? Depending on the architecture of your stores hierarchy who would be the best candidate to poll all the data and then make sure it is accurately
edited in you DMS or on your web page. A clerk in the back may be incredibly accurate
but, he/she is so far removed form the process that you open yourselves to error by
ignorance. Its not anyones fault they are just too far out the loop. They will never go outside touch the car to check the data. Right?

 So lets examine a few other options; an out side serviceOK at least you dont have
do the work yourself. But typically their data is proprietary. It will not interface with all the places you might want to past your inventory. So does that mean that you only talk to the channels that they have in place and if that is the case who would be responsible for pulling off sold cars? Most outside vendors do not take care of this part of the equation.

Although I have had a few conversations with several of them lately and they can make adjustment To receive my data in a format they can handle. Whether it be a push from my Web Page or a data stream from Supersale.com. But vary few posting sights will take data from their competition.

It looks like we are back where started, right? Not at all you have just walked through the minefield I just passed through.

We are working 2 options:

I am the E-commerce Director for a mid-size dealer group in Texas. A few of my Stores are about to implement the Supersale.com and its Digital Lot solution. More than likely we will have the job handled by the UCM and Make Ready manager The ISM who reports to me and the GM will police them for accuracy.

My smaller stores use the web page polling 2 times per day and edited by the ISM as the data as it hits the Internet. He is policed by the UCM. I test most of our inventory links several times per week for accuracy when I find an Issue I call my Web Master or R&R and have them track down the error so it corrected ASAP. However, I have no doubt that my smaller store will be moving to the Digital lot solution Quickly.

I do have a bit of an advantage for the past two years I was consulting dealership on E-commerce selling so Ive seen some great programs and some that are not so great.

The cost of an undertaking like this should never be measured in what it cost. Only
RETURN ON INVESTMENT.

I dont are if you are selling 15 or 500 cars on the Internet or to walk up traffic that is Influenced by what they saw on the Internet. Getting your product in front of as many eyes as possible is the key. The more complete the information you offer the more Likely you are to sell the empowered shopper. Remember the largest number of web shopers do not enter your store via email they use the front door.

OK Ill get off my soapbox now.

[This message has been edited by machado (edited 08-23-2000).]

machado

Postby We Stick You On The » Fri Aug 25, 2000 11:18 am

My name is George Nenni, Director of Operations for Dealer Specialties, Inc. I would be glad to answer any questions you all may have.

On the subject of listing your used vehicle inventory (or new inventory), we feel you should follow the 3 P's. Picture, Price, and Physical inventories. You should include a picture of the vehicle, the vehicle should have a competitive price, and you must keep your inventories current.

The comments posted regarding photos are correct. From our studies on www.getauto.com, we have found that vehicles with an actual photo are 4 times more likely to generate an internet lead. And stay away from stock photos. Stock photos can be a legal liability as the manufacturers are now painfully finding out. We have found that a combination of 4 photos can work even better. Our reps take two exterior shots and two interior shots and the response increases even more.

Whether or not to price vehicles online is a debated topic. Some dealers feel that if they don't price the vehicle, the internet shopper will simply keep clicking until they find a vehicle with a price. Other dealers feel that if they price the vehicles, they may get shopped. Many of our dealers take advantage of our dual pricing function and will use NADA or Kelley pricing to help legitimize their lower price. If you're willing to put in the effort, this technique can really pay off.

Keeping inventories current can also be a daunting task. If you're doing it yourself, you should determine some plan for properly aging the vehicles, removing sold units, and then auditing the system to make sure nothing fell between the cracks.

The subject of dealers doing their own window stickers, photos and data collection is something we're asked about from time to time. It really boils down to finding someone at the dealership who can do the work. Typically the job falls into the lap of the Used Car Manager. That just never made sense to me, since the Used Car Manager should be managing the active sales pipeline at the dealership, instead of trying to figure out how they just accidentally deleted all of their photos. I could never imagine paying a manager's salary to someone who is doing data entry. And if you hire a data entry person, do they know cars? The best scenario is finding someone who does this every day for a living. Someone who sees and processes over a thousand cars per month is going to KNOW the vehicles inside and out. They are going to find hidden, key options that a data entry clerk may miss.

Polling sounds nice in theory, but remember these systems simply explode the VIN and will not give you an accurate option list. If you hope the web visitor will call to find out if a car has air conditioning, they won't. They will simply gravitate toward vehicles that have more detailed information listed. NOTHING can substitute for a visual inspection.

Also I have heard countless stories of the polling systems grabbing the wrong price from the ADP or RR system. Dealers end up accidentally posting on the internet their actual COST instead of the price.

I know there was also a question in the postings regarding getting the vehicle data and photos in a format that could be used by the dealer or other 3rd parties. There is no limit to the number of websites, 3rd parties, etc. that Dealer Specialties can send the data to for the dealer. If you need your data to put into an excel spreadsheet? Just ask.
We Stick You On The

Postby SDG » Fri Sep 01, 2000 10:28 pm

This is to George at Dealer Specialties:

Well, having dealer specialties do the job sounds wonderful in theory but using your services in the past proved to be as big of a mess as what you describe above...wrong prices, cars on lot but not on line, cars on line but not on lot...and I ended up being the one having to spend countless hours correcting a job we were paying you to do.....I guess everything sounds good in theory........just another view point
SDG

Postby BBingham » Sun Sep 03, 2000 5:16 pm

My name is Bruce Bingham and I am the national sales manager for Third Coast Media, representing close to 200 automotive web sites on the internet. Since we have dealership clients throughout North America, we work with various vendors to assist dealerships with posting their inventories onto the web (SuperSales.com, Dealer Specialties, Rolling Moroney).

I have dealers who love, hate, and are indifferent to Dealer Specialties. The one common thing I have seen amongst our clients, regardless of window sticker vendor, is a lack of quality and timely information in the DMS.

There are instances in which the correct information is polled and pushed onto the web incorrectly. I also get reports of representatives not attending the inventories in a timely manner. However, I have found that the management of Dealer Specialties and some of their franchisees to be very receptive and responsive to any problems.

The system of polling/pushing information is not perfect. This is in part because of the attitudes and policies of the DMS vendors, ADP, R&R, and UCS. A single process that would allow data and imagery to be entered into the DMS and pushed onto the internet would result in far fewer problems. The DMS vendors typically see this as a threat to their business models because they do not offer that type of service, yet. It is unfortunate. Instead of seeking partnerships that will speed up deployment of that type of service, they shun it. This will result in a higher development cost on their part, which is passed onto the dealerships. It also results in the very restrictive nature of their policies now and in the future. Do not be surprised if, when the DMS vendors do develop their own technology for pushing the data and images onto the web, their policies become even more restrictive (and expensive) towards the use of a different vendor.

Regardless of the company you have selected to assist you with implementing the technology of the internet into your dealerships, if you feel that their service is not adequate, voice it. A key to any relationship with a technology partner is timely communication. If there is a problem, report it immediately. Also, make sure you are not expecting performance beyond what your own technology or internal systems will allow (Automotive dealerships are not notorious for having cumbersome, duplicated procedures for nothing). Make sure you understand what services are and are not provided. A key factor is to define your expectations to your vendor.

If these steps have been taken and your vendor cannot provide the service your expect or require, seek help elsewhere. If the company that provides you your web site services cannot assist you in these matters, you should look elsewhere for that service as well.

Good luck!

Bruce Bingham
Third Coast Media
National Sales Manager www.thirdcoastmedia.com

[This message has been edited by BBingham (edited 09-03-2000).]

BBingham

Postby We Stick You On The » Tue Sep 05, 2000 12:26 pm

SDG,

Bruce Bingham made a great point in saying that solid communications must be established, and good troubleshooting procedures implemented to determine what is causing the problem.

Is the data being correctly collected at the lot by the DS representative?

Is the data being correctly posted on the DS Repository Site (getauto.com)? If the data is correct here, you can be assured that the data is being collected properly by your local rep.

Is the data being transmitted properly to partner sites (ie. Autobytel, Cars.com, Cobalt, etc.)? Your DS rep can provide you with reports that will show the date and time of completed data transfers to partner sites.

Is the partner site correctly posting the data and photos? If you've answered yes to the above three questions, then this is your likely problem. We must then contact the 3rd party site and find out why they are not correctly posting the data.

Everyday we work to troubleshoot and ask ourselves the above 4 questions to find out where the problem is. You may have a great DS rep who does his or her job without fault, but then find out that one of the network partner sites (AutobyTel, Cars.com, Cobalt, etc.) is having a server problem, or has changed something on their end.

SDG, since you and other dealers have asked us for more control over their Dealer Specialties collected inventory, we have recently released the "DSUpdate" Inventory Editing Tool. This web-based program allows dealers to make changes to vehicles and to remove vehicles that are processed by the Dealer Specialties' reps. These changes are then transmitted to all of our network partner sites.

-George Nenni
Dealer Specialties, Inc. www.getauto.com
We Stick You On The

Postby ProTouch Web » Thu Oct 25, 2001 8:23 pm

I have a little different approach to this. I am the webmaster for a large Ford dealer. Over the past 2 1/2 years that I have done this, I have honed my skills on database inventory and have created an inventory database manager for this dealership. I am in control of what inventory is and is not on the web. I can add, delete or edit at will. I am also in charge of putting up the used inventory pictures.
I have also created this program to be able to handle new inventory also, by inputting the body codes and option codes, I am able to display the invoice with all the options. You can see how it works at http://www.danwieboldford.com or demo it at www.protouchweb.com.
By the way...I am a subcontractor for this dealership...not an employee. They trust me with all of their information.
ProTouch Web

Postby Results » Mon Oct 29, 2001 10:13 am

It looks like we have several topics going here and I would like to address each one.
To Key Olds - There are several great products, services and custom programs available. It is not easy to choose from any of them with out taking them for a test drive.
I personally believe that what ever system you implement has to pull from your DMS. Your inventory has to be kept fresh daily if not in real time. Pictures are a must as well as a robust description of each unit. That is where the challenge comes in. Choose a system that works for your Internet Department, Used Car Manager, and your DMS system.
To Jim Muntz Yours is not an easy job trying to sort through the advertisements versus the genuine response. I dont envy you at all. May be we should have categories in our log ins like you do as moderator. That way who ever is responding is identified right away in their legitimacy of their response. Ie.. Dealer, Vendor, or Consultant.
To My Colleges and those of you that may be massaging future business - Identify your selves; invite them to your sites, offer your products and services, but most of be upfront about your intentions of your response. Congratulations to those of you in this string that has already done that.
My Pitch We are struggling to put together a program for the automobile dealers that is free to them but costs the vendors. It is a rigid certification program that takes the products like we have mentioned above and tests it for its content, functionality, and publishes the findings. Picture it working like UL Approved or the Good Housekeeping Seal. The problem is that the vendors feel like they dont need it because the dealers buy anyway. If you are actually working at a dealership or own one go to www.dmsez.com and sign up to help support this effort
Sorry Jim, But I thought I would try to sneak this in.

------------------
Results
Mike Stinson
results@rintuit.com
www.rintuit.com

Results

Postby sallen1 » Sun Dec 02, 2001 8:58 am

Hey, a new post!

What is the goal of your used car website? Do you sell the car off the site like a catalog company or do you encourage the customer to test drive, etc.?

I look at our used car inventory online like any other advertising: drive dealership traffic. This means that daily updates are not as important as paying attention to whats on your site. We book a lot of trades that we'd never try to retail and if a vendor tickled our inventory every day, that junk would get picked up. Obviously, (you know who I'm talking to...) you guys can set up filters, but what a hassle. Besides, everyone should try their best in protecting their 'trade secrets' and letting a bunch of vendors have access to your computer dilutes you claim of keeping information 'secret'.

Anyway, inventory posting is relatively easy so you should be paying less than $50 per month for the service. My opinion, of course.

scott

[This message has been edited by sallen1 (edited 12-02-2001).]

sallen1

Previous

Return to Digital Auto Marketing