new to the net. not really though.

Postby threecsix » Fri Feb 09, 2001 4:51 pm

New as I am to the forum, I am very glad to see all the feedback here as I'm sure it will help me form a solid web presence for the dealerships I work for here in northern new england. As a tech. here at one of the shops I run and update most of the non-adp systems here and was asked to put together a page to promote car sales and service. I am doing this to help my dealership and want to be sure that it is done profitably and not the other way around. So please let me know if I've got this down. I seem to have a top ten list and I haven't even gotten the page up yet. But questions still remain.
1. Make your webpage easy to use and with lots of information. (Where can I host affordably with unlimited traffic?)
2. When your customers hit your page, track them and contact them immediately. (What software is good for tracking?) (use epager?)
3. Do the big sites really work? (ie autotrader, earthcars)
4. With three dealerships to keep track of inventory, how does one page cover all the cars? (or should I have three seperate web pages pages?)
I like the information here an will visit often. later
six
threecsix

Postby jccarguy » Fri Feb 09, 2001 9:46 pm

It may help to go to www.automotivenews.com and click on the section about this years best web site winners. Its a start anyway.
jccarguy

Postby Results » Fri Feb 16, 2001 11:10 pm

Hey there six,
Your right about this forum. You can get very good answers from the regulars.
You are taking on a big job considering it sounds like a part time project.

Unless your strong in HTML I suggest you use Front Page. There are some other editors available free on the Internet if you don't have that one. I have to be honest with you though there really is an art to building a site that sells cars ie. friendlychevy.com
Your #1 is on track but be sure to keep it simple as well as fresh. In most cases visitors already know they want a brand x car with such and such add ons. Since you are doing this with very little budget I suggest you spend more time about the buying experience then offering safety stats.
If you shop the net you can get 10 megs for $15.00, 20 megs for $30 and so on.
#2 Go to hitbox.com for a free site tracker that will overwelm you with stats.
#3 When you mention big sites I assume you are asking if lead providers work? Yes and no. I have two stores selling 50 plus cars and they do not use them. I have three stores that the only cars they sell are through lead providers. It depends on how you treat and work the leads, your location, and how much you are spending on a lead with and with out them.
#4 One page will not cover three stores inventory. Are you going to update them through ADP or manually? Do you want actual inventory? Are you going to show pricing?
If you are not careful you will be heading for a programming nightmare.
I am not trying to discourage you from being the stores webmaster. It is a lot of fun and can be rewarding. Good Luck and if there is something I can help you with let me know.
Later rintuit

------------------
Results
Mike Stinson
results@rintuit.com
www.rintuit.com

Results

Return to Digital Auto Marketing