Protecting your dealership systems from viruses

Postby Matt Parsons » Fri Oct 12, 2001 4:21 pm

I would like to understand what dealers or dealership IT providers are doing to protect the dealers systems from viruses?

Dealers today have a wide array of systems running, from DMS to Dealer Communications solutions. Who in the dealership is looking to see if all the devices/servers are protected with current virus scan software?

Whose job is it to constantly download new releases from the web that patch holes in applications and operating systems such as those offered by Microsoft?

What responsibility does the DMS provider have in providing virus protection for PC's purchased by them...what about PC's purchased from third-party providers but connected to the DMS network?

Do most dealers understand that they can clean-up a virus from their DMS (or other system), and can become immediately re-infected if they are unable to access and clean-up servers connected to their LAN from other sources such as their OEM?

These are just a few of the thoughts rambling about my head today following the wake of Code Red Worm and Nimba virus attacks that have occurred recently.
Matt Parsons

Postby warr_wiz » Sat Oct 13, 2001 3:52 pm

Matt, we are currently running Norton Anti-Virus Corporate edition. It automatically checks for updates twice a day. When an update is received, all clients are automatically updated with the latest virus definitions. It is done in the backround on start up, or once a day if the client is not turned off. Client pc's cannot stop the updates even if the operator knew it was being sent. Usually no one notices because just a small icon appears in the task bar for a couple seconds or so. Works excellent in our dealership. We run winNT, win98, and win2K clients and all are supported without a problem. Occasionally I will check to see that all is ok with the updates but haven't had any reason to do anything else.
BTW I am the service manager but do a lot of the IT work as I have had training in this area. Not extensive but it's cheaper than calling in an outside firm which does happen if any major problems out of my abilities arises.
warr_wiz

Postby Matt Parsons » Mon Oct 15, 2001 7:45 am

How do you handle checking manufacturer supplied systems that are connected to your LAN? In some cases, these devices are locked down and thus you can not put a package like Norton on them and if they become infected, they will constantly reinfect your network?

Did you have any problems with Nimba or Code Red Worm...or did Norton catch these?

Many viruses attack holes in Microsofts operating system. Microsoft posts fixes to these holes on the web, and because hackers know that most people will not download them right away, they take advantage and write viruses to exploit these holes. Do you ever go out to Microsofts web page to download patches, or do you assume Norton is in someway correcting/fixing these?
Matt Parsons

Postby warr_wiz » Tue Oct 16, 2001 3:27 pm

The 2 manufacturer supplied systems we use here are GM Access and Rey & Rey. As far as I know GM uses their own protection and Rey & Rey uses a direct modem connection. But I could be totally wrong there.
But with the latest attacks, Norton did find and clean the NIMBA virus. Code Red...well that's a story in it's own. At the time we had McAffee. But no doubt it was never updated and probably was not running. Code Red ate us up and spit us out. Ended up taking 2 servers and @ $10K. That was the time I became involved with the IT. So far no other problems.
warr_wiz

Return to Digital Auto Marketing