What do customers want/expect from dealership web sites?

Postby Forum Admin » Sun Mar 07, 1999 3:00 pm

Like every other aspect of Auto Retailing, the dealership's web site should provide the information and services that customers want. However, the Internet is a relatively new medium, and it may not be clear what customers expect from a dealership web site.

Even if you think you know what customers want, integrating on-line services with a dealership's established practices can be a big challenge.

Other dealers are interested in your experiences with these issues, and we are sure that you would like to hear what your peers have to say. Here are some questions to get things started:

-What are customers expecting when they come to your site?
-Are you able to provide the information and services that customers are are looking for?
-What are some of the biggest challenges?

Please take a moment to leave your thoughts.

Forum Admin

Postby Jim Murray » Mon Mar 15, 1999 1:28 pm

consumers want to know dealer cost of our vehicle service contracts. That's none of their business. They also want to cancel contracts they purchased at a dealership. We don't do that. A few want to buy "direct". We don't do that either.
Jim Murray

Postby Key Olds » Tue Apr 13, 1999 8:13 pm

Dealer websites are an opportunity to give more than just stats and images and invoice of models. Everyone offers that. The difference is building repore with your e-mailees. Offering more than the next guy as far as a helping hand, of course, a great deal, advice, information they didnt think of, consultation, etc. But in order to even have this opportunity, you have to have a site that will hold their attention or some means of driving them to you. We use a few outside sources, one of which, generates around 50 to 60 inquiries a month. From that source I have learned that folks out there really appreciate seeing a digital image of used vehicles. Just that alone has sold more cars for us over the net than the info provided. They also appreciate that I actually respond to their emails in a very short period of time. I had a free autoresponder put on my site to make sure they heard something from us right after they mailed us. Then, I answer them in person and "chat" with them about whatever they need. Too many times, we've "flipped" people from one vehicle to another that gave them more for their money and exceeded their expectations. Thus, generating referrals and long term relationships.
It's a good feeling to get e mails from time to time from folks you helped that are just saying Hi, thought I'd drop you a note!
Key Olds

Postby sallen1 » Wed Apr 14, 1999 9:06 am

Our web sites have been around for a while and most of our request are for pricing or availability on a particular model. The interesting thing is that our MFG has a 'build your own car' section on their web page and we get requests for those cars. Most of the time, the cars that are specified on the factory sites are impossible for us to order. Do the MFG realize this??

We try to use e-mail for notifing customers of stuff but they tell us they still prefer USPS.

I suppose that electronic commerce can be a benefit to some, however, the products and services offered by car dealers lean toward the 'convienience value' and I believe e-commerce will help but not replace the current system.

If I had to choose where to deal with my car, I'd pick the best service facility close to where I live or work, not who had the best web site, etc.

So far, I think most of our price quotes, etc. are used to keep the customers' local dealer 'honest'. Just my thoughts...

Scott
sallen1

Postby Kevin Kavanagh » Fri Apr 23, 1999 10:32 am

Much of the research done to date indicates that customers are looking for price and availability as the primary reasons to visit a site. One of the interesting aspects of the net is that this customer is loaded with information and not knowledge. The dealership that communicates quickly with this customer and adds value to the experience has a better chance to get the business.

The most successful internet dealers I talk to have a dedicated internet sales representative and a different set of processes to handle this client. Rob's correct, this media is changing rapidly and the verdict is out on the ultimate impact on this business. You should look at the internet customer as incremental business and have a presence and activley embrace these customers. The public companies research indicates that leads coming through their own site are of higher quality that the lead providers (Auto Buy Tell, Car Point, etc) If this is true can you create your own opportunities?

One last interesting thing to consider is how effective Priceline.com's current Internet "auction" test comes out. The Intenet Auction business is worth billions...are we next?

------------------
Kevin Kavanagh

Postby Garry House » Mon Apr 26, 1999 3:33 pm

Our client-dealer experience supports exactly what Kevin says. The slightly-revised operative phrase is, "You should look at the Internet customer as INCREMENTAL business, have a [World-Class Internet] PRESENCE and ACTIVELY EMBRACE these customers."
Garry House
NCM Consulting Division
Garry House

Postby Hangtag » Tue Jul 06, 1999 10:32 pm

It is critical that you maintain your inventory of both new and used cars current (at the very least on a weekly basis).

[This message has been edited by Hangtag (edited 07-07-99).]

Hangtag

Postby Mikeset » Wed Jul 14, 1999 7:00 am

The Web has the power to change auto retailing. Many may see it has increased business, but if dealers don't embrace it their customer will turn to those who do. The consumer is looking for a new way to buy an automobile. They now can can find more information than ever and about the next car they want to purchase. The consumer needs to the next step buying thruough dealers websites. This will require more effort on dealers part they should and expect a different experince than the person that walks throught the doors of the dealership

------------------
Mike Anderson
ISM
Southeast Toyota
Mikeset

Postby g-man » Wed Jul 28, 1999 9:39 pm

Hi everyone!

I couldn't help noticing the topic of conversation and had my own two cents to throw in. Customers that are browsing the net right now are looking for information to persuade them in their purchase of a new vehicle. This does not include/exclude the possibility of them in "purchase" mode.

Customers undoubtedly want a clear mixture of information about your company as well as information about the car they are looking for (or in the event they don't know what they are looking for, they want persuasion)

This is best accomplished by reaching your customer when they are in "browse" mode. Too often, webmasters make the mistake of trying to force the customer into a "buy" mode. The BEST time to reach the customer is when they are in the surfing phase. This is your best time to convince them you are the hands-down winner.

Once the customer has converted to "buy" mode, it is too late to invite them into your "Friendly Website". This should be done well in advance, creating a recognized brand for your company's name. By the time they are ready to purchase, your website is immediately in their arsenal because they've seen your advertisements, and your efforts to get the word out about your web site.

Reaching the customer on their level is going to be the biggest challenge for this industry. You have customers nowadays that are well-informed about the car's different option packages and MSRP's. Some Internet shoppers know even the invoice cost on the car, and expect a price quote $99 above invoice cost of the car.

The key to beating this one, is rewarding the customer for their efforts to educate themselves. You can more than make up the cost of the deal by selling in volume, just as long as your paperwork and forms are available ON-LINE and ready for downloading.

I hope that you have found some utility in these suggestions. If you'd like to chat sometime, please e-mail me at:

g-man@hondahawaii.com

Aloha!

g-man

Postby jimmuntz » Sun Aug 01, 1999 12:31 pm

G-man-

Just a thought about your posting: J.D Powers and others doing research on Internet car shoppers indicate that this special customer usually visits a dealership Web site after they have done their homework at manufacturer and third-party research sites (Edmunds, Kelleys, etc.) When they get to a dealer site, they are reportedly interested in information that will help them complete the purchase - for example price and availability.

This seems to counter your analysis. Any thoughts?

Jim Muntz
jimmuntz

Next

Return to Digital Auto Marketing