What do customers want/expect from dealership web sites?

Postby danharper » Tue Aug 17, 1999 7:56 pm

Just a quick quip on this topic.

I think the biggest mistake dealers make today on their website's is taking the old-school, sell sell sell approach. While some websites are enhanced and flashy, most still use a generic "we're online 'cause we haveta" approach.

An earlier posting mentioned that most customers will click on your website while just browsing, not in "purchace mode". This being the case, give the client something to do and look at while he/she is just browseing, and hopefully retaining the customer when it is time to buy.

How to do this? Make the site interesting, and a source of new, up to date information. Post something on the page that a normal client would not have access to. Dealers recieve a ton of interesting information everyday, why not share it. Make the site informative... include a open recall search page in the site, ask the customer to ask questions. One of the biggest keys is communication...ask for email...respond promptly...do legwork work for surfers - because tomorrow they may be looking to buy, and you may already have a relationship.

Looking forward to responces, Dan
danharper

Postby jimmuntz » Fri Aug 20, 1999 9:00 pm

Dan-

I think that any content that would bring dealership customers back over and over would have to be very compelling. I don't think a recall search would be of that much interest.

I disagree that prospects visit a dealership site while in the browsing mode. Most are doing purchase research - looking for availablity and price info. The most forward looking dealership sites learn how to supply this data.

There are many other resources on the Web that will be far more important to any individual's life than a dealer's. I wouldn't try to compete with the universally popular destinations - but look for ways to address the needs and wants of the car shopper.

As always, opposing views are more than welcome.

Jim
jimmuntz

Postby Malcolm Smith » Wed Aug 25, 1999 5:52 pm

My company hosts several dozen websites for dealers. We watch our dealers' Web traffic very closely. Price and availability are of paramount importance to online car shoppers. Pictures are also very important.

How do we know? We watch where shoppers visit within each site. We monitor the number of times shoppers view inventory. We also monitor the inquiries they make online.

Three trends become clear: First, our dealers' web traffic is overwhelmingly to their new and used inventory pages, especially inventory searches. Second, many, many more people view vehicles than submit inquiries on them. Third, dealers with prices below MSRP/blue book and/or with pictures of the particular vehicle get a much greater percentage of inquiries than those without.

This is what leads me to suggest that price and availability are what matter to online car shoppers. It also seems that the Internet is largely a promotional tool (particularly similar to the newspaper) and that "Internet" shoppers are often walking into the dealership as traditional shoppers, as well.
Malcolm Smith

Postby jimmuntz » Fri Aug 27, 1999 9:05 am

Malcolm- I think you summed it up clearly - Internet car shoppers come to a dealership's Web site for price and availability info and pictures (pictures of the actual vehicle) help.

You also alluded to the fact that many of these Interent researchers are coming onto the showroom floor without making e-mail contact. This should not be ignored.

Many dealers will argue against providing pricing data or philosophy on the Web site in fear of what it will do to showroom negotiating. Those that will come with your Web posted data are not the traditional showroom shoppers.

What you post on your Web site will only impact Internet car shoppers and not your regular front-door trade.

However, failure to provide what the Internet shopper is looking for on your Web site is worse than having no site at all.

Comments?

Jim Muntz

------------------
Publisher WD&S Publishing
Phone 800-321-5312
FAX 800-314-4770
jimmuntz

Postby B Zimmer » Fri Sep 10, 1999 3:13 pm

As a new subscriber to AROW, I want to express my appreciation for an unbiased resource for Internet development and management. In the clamor for dealers' dollars, its great to have some guidance in sorting it all out.

My present dilema with new car marketing. Our manufacturer has just introduced NFP (negotiation free process)and the pricing given to Internet consumers will be identical to pricing available to showroom consumers. Your comment, Jim, that what is posted for Internet shoppers will not affect showroom negotiation should be comforting to dealers as they step forward into e-commerce.

However, value price selling our cars at MSRP and without the ability to post a "special Internet pricing policy", as is suggested in the Aug issue of AROW, leaves us with marketing our dealership, personnel and customer service, (both the convenience of NFP sales and also in the service department). How can we effectively market these things from our website, to make our dealership stand out from the rest, same brand or competitor? There is no question, as was mentioned in a prior posting, that the "human" factor is still an important component in a client's overall satisfaction with the buying experience but how do we translate that human factor to the Internet and convince our clients that our dealership has it? Maybe we can't?
B Zimmer

Postby Carguy » Fri Jan 07, 2000 8:43 am

Sorry - This post was judged to be too marketing oriented and was therefore deleted. Please keep postings on subject and do not use the forum simply to promote specfic goods or services.

[This message has been edited by jimmuntz (edited 01-07-2000).]

Carguy

Postby tbrowder » Mon Jan 10, 2000 7:58 am

I totally agree with Jim that when a surfer finally gets to your web site he or she is in the buy mode. They have done their research, gotten their invoice prices, selected their car (and I would hazard a guess, driven the car) and now they want a firm price and availability.

Another interesting fact I've found, you don't have to give the car away! These buyers want this process to be easy and non-confrontational.

Remember, these folks have already done their homework when they get to your site. Don't drop the ball and you'll sell more cars!
tbrowder

Postby SMaibor » Wed Feb 02, 2000 11:02 am

I believe that the web has made the product a simple commodity. my cars are no different then the ones up the street and wee both paid the same price for it.

To succeed I think that the dealer needs to compete on service and personality.

The easiest way to do this is by demonstrating to the customer that you are their to help WHEN THEY WANT IT.

We implemented a Click to Call feature on the site that is going well.
SMaibor

Postby demarnee » Fri Feb 18, 2000 6:22 pm

Well, just to show you a different angle...I thought I would put my thoughts to this one.
We have had a web-site for the past 12 months and although we have over 10,000 hits a week on the site - we have sold only a handful of cars, quite a few parts and accessories - and received many positive comments about the site. Our dealership is very small and has only survived in the highly competitive UK market the last five years because of our very laid back, friendly and do anything but slit your wrists customer service policy - that ...and the fact that we sell 2 great franchises. We built our business on the back of a marketing policy that said we were not like other car dealers....and our web-site was built with that policy in mind.We did not want the professional all singing and dancing with lots of bits and baubles everywhere - instead we went for all the information you could ever want....very easy to navigate...fan clubs, message boards..the whole thing - and yes...they do appreciate it....I have loads of email that say how quick and easy it is to navigate etc...
all emails are responded to within the hour. But - the English are sceptical! They love the web for collecting the info - and believe me ...we have 150 plus pages of it...but how can we get them to relax...and trust that the same people who have gone to so much trouble to provide them with all the information they need...are also capable and trustworthy enough to actually sell them a car. It is almost as if they need to see the person they are buying the car from - you know to make sure they haven't got three heads or something! Attitudes are so different here. They collect all the info from our site....then buy from their local dealer - because it is convenient. Dealers have rung and thanked me for my site andsending customers with them who are ready to sign up.
Your thoughts would be appreciated
demarnee

Postby jimmuntz » Fri Feb 18, 2000 6:55 pm

Sounds like your site does a great job of selling the product, but may need some help in selling the dealership and the buying experience that the prospect will enjoy by doing business with you. MFG sites should sell the product while dealership sites should help demonstrate why the buying experience will be different if they choose you.

I am going to suggest to our editors that they take a look at your site for possible review in the Auto Retailing on the Web newsletter. That review could be very interesting especially in light of your comments above.

------------------
Jim Muntz
Publisher WD&S Publishing
jimmuntz@dealersedge.com
Phone 800-321-5312
FAX 800-314-4770

jimmuntz

PreviousNext

Return to Digital Auto Marketing