Just getting Started

Just getting Started

Postby worldparts » Tue Jun 01, 1999 8:59 am

Steve, as a 20 year vet in the Parts Department, I would encourage your to give strong consideration to your Parts Department pages. Auto parts are a "global" product which can be used to expand your market and build your customer base. Selling parts online will generate additional gross which can often offset or even cover the costs of your website. There are some challenges you will face, however they are not insurmountable. At the ISPS conference I presented four challenges that face dealers wanting to sell parts online. I would encourage your to order the ISPS & AROW tapes.

------------------
Bob Van Der Ploeg
bob@worldparts.com
http://www.worldparts.com
worldparts

Just getting Started

Postby Pat » Sat Jun 05, 1999 3:43 pm

Just got the ARROW tapes yesterday. If you did not go, even if you did, GET THEM! WOW. Totally blew my mind. Can't wait until the next conference. I never endorse products, and to top that off, I usually do not buy audio recordings of an event I was unable to attend. This set is worth it.
Pat

Just getting Started

Postby jimmuntz » Thu Jun 10, 1999 12:59 pm

Pat- Thank you! There is nothing I like better than an unsolicited testimonial. If others are interested in the tape set, just click on the banner at the bottom of this page.

Remember the next conference will be in Orlando on Oct. 11,12 & 13. Save the dates.

Jim Muntz

[This message has been edited by jimmuntz (edited 06-10-99).]

jimmuntz

Just getting Started

Postby Greg Mushro » Thu Jul 08, 1999 3:25 pm

Steve's initial question is a very good one. Do we go with a templated service or custom create one from scratch?

Either choice has its advantages and disadvantages. Here they are in a nut shell:

A templated web site is good for the beginner to intermediate Internet dealer. Someone just getting their feet wet or getting use to running a web site. It offers a structured format that is hard to mess up. There are typically administering tools allowing you to some small amount of editing and change to content areas. The disadvantage is you loose the ability to set your self apart from the rest of the pack. You are going to some degree look like everyone else in that service. You will also pay a continual fee and may have to sign a contract for a set period of time.

A custom designed web site is better suited for the advanced to expert Internet dealer who may already have a templeted site and or want more control of how their new site will look and function. A custom site is just that, custom. They look different from everone elses and can make a great first impression. There is no box you have to stay in, the sky is the limit. Not everyone is up to this challenge. However, these dealers are typically the ones that are the front runners trying new ideas and concepts to generate new business for their dealership.

For those who are thinking about a custom build web site here are just a few important points:

1) Get serious about the commitment - Doing this half way is a recipe for failure. This includes the funds to support it and an internet marketing budget

2) Develop a sound business plan and model - Decide on what you want to get out of it the site and then go for it. This is like starting a new company, it needs planning. then direction...is it just a web brochure or a real e-commerce site.

3) Bid the job out to several qualified Web design companies - This is very important. Interview the design companies, just like you would a new employee, for industry knowledge and MOST importantly, support after the site is up and running.
Thoroughly interview company's past clients for support, availability, timeliness, commitment and knowledge of what your dealership needs!

4) Map out a flow chart around the business plan or model - This is the blue print the Internet design company will follow.

5) Create mock look and feel for the Web site - This look should visually show who you are.

6) Set project deadlines and deliverables, then get started! - Timelines will help keep the project on track.

This is just the initial stage of the process. There is still going to be a variety of choices that have to be made regarding inventory online, shopping carts for parts, accessories & warranties, building & ordering a new vehicle, clubs & memberships, reminders and much more.

If you have any questions feel free contact me and good luck!

------------------
TheNetLab.com
Automotive Internet Solutions
Greg Mushro

Previous

Return to Digital Auto Marketing