Basic Suggestions

Basic Suggestions

Postby Matt Parsons » Mon Apr 10, 2000 2:31 pm

The problem so many dealers have with their internet presence and thus web clients is that they don't comprehend that the consumer using this medium has different expectations. In my Digital Dealer workshop, I suggest that there are four fundamental rules to the internet...
1.) Timeliness of your response supercedes all the other rules.
2.) Your business processes must be re-evaluated to support this type of client (we call them "The New Consumer").
3.) It is very hard to differentiate yourself via this medium.
4.) And the client must be engaged on their terms (if they sent you an electronic inquiry, you must respond in kind).

All too often, dealers attempt to use their internet presence as a tool to drive people to the store. This is exactly what the new consumer is avoiding. It is critical for dealers to understand that they need to become infomediaries (information brokers) first and foremost. Dealers can no longer "capture" prospects into a dealer "friendly" environment to work the deal...the environment needs to be client friendly with the dealer adapting their business processes to those mandated by the consumer. In late 1998, EDS performed a survey asking dealers how long it took to respond to an internet inquiry. 84% stated that it took 24 hours or longer. In late 1999, when asked that same question, 51% stated they respond inless than 1 hour with 76% of the 51% stating they respond in less than 30 minutes. This shows vast improvement when dealers understand the customers criteria.

I would suggest that each dealer periodically test his/her staff in terms of responsiveness, knowledge, etc., by either sending a request(s) to their own website under an assumed ID, or hire a family member/friend to do this and track the results. I think many dealers would be dismayed at how unresponsive their organizations are. If this occurs in your store, before you fire anyone...re-evaluate your business processes, are they designed to maximize the experience of the new consumer? Remember, right people with wrong process will deliver much the same results as wrong people with wrong process and/or wrong people with right process.
Matt Parsons

Basic Suggestions

Postby Steve Blake » Mon Apr 10, 2000 10:24 pm

Matt, to take your point even further, I witness many mistakes that dealers or the so called "Web Solutions Providers" make when designing their sites.

By the time a consumer reaches a dealership site, they have already completed much, if not all, of the research they need to purchase a vehicle. They desire the quickest path to submit inquiries and sites which are overloaded with intense graphics and plug in features, often discourage the customer from contact with the dealer.

Andy, as you may have guessed already, I visited your dealership's site to test the design, navigation and the content of your response to a quote request.

The company that designed your site has made the same mistake that many do because of their lack of understanding the online automotive shopper.

The navigation menu for your site is not clear and once I did locate the "get a price" button, it took over 5 pages to finally get to the point of being able to submit a quote request. Online shoppers will become discouraged over this lengthy process.

I could further critque your response, but I believe that should not be done in a public forum. If you would like to discuss this further, please feel free to email me at sblakesr@yahoo.com.

Steve Blake
sblakesr@yahoo.com www.gabusford.com www.flmdealer.com
Steve Blake

Previous

Return to Digital Auto Marketing