Basic Suggestions

Basic Suggestions

Postby Pat » Mon May 17, 1999 1:06 pm

I would like to start a forum where we can post some basic stratagies for web based sales. For me, over the past two years working on this, it has been a hard road of trial and error. I hope that we can help each other avoid the pitfalls associated with this increasingly popular sales media.

Please post your suggestions! together we can accomplish more!

------------------
dodge1@haddadmotors.com

Pat

Basic Suggestions

Postby Pat » Mon May 17, 1999 1:19 pm

Here are some basics that I use:

1. Answer E-mails as quickly as possible! Many of my customers made a decision on part because I responded to them within a few hours. usually within an hour.

2. Do not be afraid of Invoices! to me when a customer brings in pricing sheets from the internet it shows they have already made a purchase decision. Or in other words they are holding a P.O.

3. Don't be afraid of making a counter offer. They may know the invoice, but that does not mean they will not negotiate on price!

4. Internet shoppers are looking for a new buying experience, give them one! oi.e. Offer to bring the car to their home to demo(if feasable). I am sure you can think of more.

5. Never leave your website in disrepair. When A customer sees broken links, images and other signs that the site has not been kept up, they form a negative opinion of the dealer overall.

6. If you use banner ads on other sites to drive web traffic, change them regularly. People get tired of the same banners and will ignore them.

7. When looking for place for banner ads, check out popular local ISP's or your local newspaper online. I get a ton of traffic just off of these two sources.

------------------
dodge1@haddadmotors.com

Pat

Basic Suggestions

Postby G.Machado » Mon Nov 15, 1999 12:18 am

Bravo Pat:

I have friends all over the country that have not learned the lessons that you have.

I sold cars on the Internet for almost 3 years. I can assure you the lessons I learned
were both painful and costly.

Did you get help from out side your dealership? Or did you gather this info on your own, in the classroom of hard knocks?

I agree with everything you said but, there are plenty of ways to get back to your customers in real time or darn close.

I'm sure you will find that no one thing will more dramatically aid in getting your numbers up faster than instant response to the primary purchase request.

It sounds like you are on your way to becoming a heavy hitter.

I would also make a recommendation that you use pre-scripted templates whenever you can to save time. Most importantly you want to make sure that you are delivering the message that you understand the customers needs and you are willing to HELP not SELL. The Selling will take care of itself if you have a good process. By making the purchase appearing to be both seamless, quick and easy. You will close more deals and make more money.

[This message has been edited by G.Machado (edited 11-15-1999).]

G.Machado

Basic Suggestions

Postby hplytas » Wed Nov 17, 1999 5:53 pm

Pat I totally agree with every point that you made. I too am having a hard time, especially when it comes to getting customers to come on in to the dealership. I've been to several training classes lately for some of the third party referel services we are on. I couldn't help but think, this is the same things that we did on the lot, so why is it so hard now. I would love to hear any advice anyone has. I'm trying to get our internet deal going to best I can and so far it hasn't been a happening thing.

------------------

[This message has been edited by hplytas (edited 11-17-1999).]

hplytas

Basic Suggestions

Postby dodge1 » Mon Nov 29, 1999 1:01 pm

Thanks all,

To answer a few questions, yes I learned on my own over the past 3 years what has to be done, and what ruins a deal.

The best basic training has definately not been thru our on-line services either, I either already used their techniques in some areas, or found no help in others.

Recently I attended a seminar on handling phone ups in the dealership (something that I have always wanted to do) and I found a frightening similarity between the desires of the phone customer, and the internet customer.

Both are looking for more info before commiting to an arrival at a dealership, both want to save time in the negotiation process, etc.. Perhaps what we have missed in coddling the internet customer as a new breed of business, is that they really are our phone ups, but contacting via email.

Any thoughts on this? If this is really what is happening, then the course has been mapped out for handling this customer long before we plugged a PC into the WWW!

------------------
dodge1

Basic Suggestions

Postby mjacobs » Tue Nov 30, 1999 6:47 pm

I think you just hit the nail on the head with that last remark. I have been looking at my requests as glorified phone ups, and trying to handle them as such. Of course, with my success rate I could very well be wrong.
mjacobs

Basic Suggestions

Postby Jim Holdsworth » Mon Dec 20, 1999 12:04 pm

Hello eveyone!

I would like to know what other users' thoughts are about quick quotes. I agree that many of the tactics I learned in a phone up seminar are applicable to the web. However, with this quick quote practice, I am committing the cardinal sin of revealing price right up front. We all know that on the phone, this almost always leads to "OK, thank you" (click)

Any suggestions as to bettering one's chances of having the customer follow up after receiving a reply would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

------------------
Jim
Jim Holdsworth

Basic Suggestions

Postby Pat » Mon Dec 20, 1999 6:43 pm

Jim,

That is perhaps the hardest question any of has ever had to struggle with, and I am looking forward to the replies that you will get.

I dont have a solid answer for you, however if you don't mind me getting a little long winded I will try and help.

Earlier I mentioned the internet shopper can be compared to a phone-up. We all know that most salesmen lo-ball the customer and try a switch when the customer comes in for the great deal they were told about. I personnaly do not think the lo-ball approach is succesful on the internet, at least it wasn't in my first year retailing.

I believe that you need to try and catagorize the customer by the type of request, or emphasisis the customer has i.e. Only interested in 1 vehicle, financing problem, best price info, etc...

In the phone seminar I spoke about we learned there are 8 types of phone ups. I will try and compare each to what I feel is the equivalant of an internet up. If any of you can add or subtract from what I am about to say, please feel free, I also am still learning.

Type #1: The Inventory Inquirey

This shopper does not want to see any of us unless we have what they want, do not quote a price just yet or you will turn it into a price request type. You need to either match them up with a car in stock, or assure them that you can get it in a short period of time (locator), or that you have a great factory ordering program that will help them get exactly what they want for their investment. Always end your statement with a question designed to set an appointment. i.e. "Mr. Jones, I do not have that Truck right now, and I have not been able to locate one in our region. I would like to refer you to our Factory Order Program. WHat we do is sit down with you, design and spec out a car/truck with you, and make sure that we get every option and color perfectly suited to your needs. Many of our customers find this to be the best solution, and feel more comfortable considering the investment they are making. I am sure that this would be the right option for you considering how specific you have been about your New Car. What I would like to do is schedule an appointment with you to start your new car on its way, I am available Weeknights 5-9 and weekends 8-3. PLease choose a time that is right for you and let me know so I can set aside the time to spend one on one with you.".

Actually Jim and everyone, I will just throw this one out here, and will post more if you want. I do hope that this helps, and stimulates similar ideas, and perhaps some refinements from you pro's.

------------------
dodge1@haddadmotors.com

Pat

Basic Suggestions

Postby Jim Holdsworth » Mon Dec 27, 1999 11:02 am

Thanks for your input, Pat. I agree that unconsciously, a customer wants to eliminate you. I suppose that we need to quickly diffuse any barriers that would fuel objections, and let the customer know that we are there to help, not hassle!

Perhaps you could post inquiry #2 and so on as something like a "topic of the week"?

------------------
Jim
Jim Holdsworth

Basic Suggestions

Postby dodge1 » Mon Dec 27, 1999 7:27 pm

Thanks Jim, I would be happy to post this way. Although my username above is "Pat" I will post as dodge1 from now on.

Here we go again!

Type #2

The Price Request.

This has been the bulk of my internet requests, it normally comes by itself, or is encased with any of the other types we will discuss here. The personality behind this request generally is meek in person, but enabled to power on the web, they can terminate contact with any of us at any time. They will also use your pricing at another dealership to show them they can get it lower, old timers refer to this as the smoking gun. My main goal with this type of customer is to strike a chord that will help me stand out against any other offer he may gather. I do not quote this customer an over invoice price, instead I give them a savings statement. It goes something like this.

Dear Mr. Customer,

I want to thank you for your interest in our great line of products. I am sure that you will find dealing with me will be your best experience ever in buying a new/used car.

I have great news for you, I can get a 2000 Durango that matches your request.
I know that you are motivated by the potential savings you can recieve by shopping on the internet, in this case you can save $2,350.00 by buying from me. The Dealers Retail Price on this Vehicle is $32,230.00 Minus your savings, we are asking only $29,880.00. I think it is important for you to know that I do have several other vehicles in stock that would seem to be good options based on your prefrences. Some of these cars/truck may save you even more money. I would like to invite you down to visit with me so we can review your new car/truck and look at some of the other cars/truck in our stock.

Sincerely etc....

Please notice that I did not mention the use of any manufacture programs, or make a statement based on invoice. I am hoping to create the idea that my "savings statement" is a great deal, and let the other Internet Managers quote an over Invoice price without letting my customer know what the MSRP/Dsrp was.

Now it is your turn, as you read this I am sure all of you have your own idea's. I personnaly challange you to either discount this and provide your own technique, or suggest Ideas for improvement.

Pat Evans/Dodge1

------------------
dodge1

Next

Return to Digital Auto Marketing