Import vs. Domestic Internet Buyers

Postby tbrowder » Sat Sep 16, 2000 9:03 am

As some of you may know, I ran an Internet Dept. at a Honda store with fair results. I was recently lured away by a local Dodge dealer to start-up their Internet Dept.

Do any of you folks have experience with both domestic and inport internet buyers? Is there a difference in selling them via the internet?

Ya'll have been very helpful in the past and I hope you will be again. I'll keep you posted on my efforts and maybe that will help some of you.
tbrowder

Postby swindler » Wed Sep 20, 2000 5:24 pm

I am the Internet manager for a multi-franchise dealership in Auburn, Me. We offer Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Hyundai, Volkswagen, Mazda and Subaru vehicles. It has been my experience over the last 4 years that import and domestic Internet shoppers really aren't that different.

The Internet shopper can be broken down into four distinct categories. The research before I make a decision buyer; the shop by brand only consumer; the shop by vehicle group, (ie:sport utility, minivan, sedan, etc.); and finally the I need your assistance to get a vehicle buyer. If you take these four types of buyers and tailor your web site to meet each of their needs and develop a process for handling each type of Internet shopper you will win in all cases by turning them into buyers. The most important thing to do, is respond to their Internet requests immediately. Give them the type of service that you would expect in a prompt, accurate, and courteous manner. Remember, they are your bread and butter.
swindler

Postby Results » Wed Sep 20, 2000 10:36 pm

Go with what swindler says on your web design.
Take a look at one of our of dodge sites www.hoytedodge.com
If you want to make your ISD happen keep up quick response, quick follow up, and let the world know your URL
Results

Postby doc » Thu Sep 21, 2000 5:30 pm

I am currently working with a Toyota and a Lincoln-Mercury Dealership as their Internet Manager and consultant. I have found that the selling strategies of the different consumers do not change, however there are distinct differences in the products that do pose obstacles. Generally speaking the domestic vehicles (Except Ford trucks)have not stirred as much excitement as the import side. That can give you less traffic to work with. That is the only significant difference that I have found.
doc

Postby orlexus » Wed Oct 25, 2000 2:32 pm

Hi,

I am from British Coloumbia, Canada! I have a couple of questions inregards buying over the internet! I am the E-Commerce Coordinator up here for Openroad AutoGroup Ltd of Richmond, B.C. All 6 of our dealerships are selling imports, and we do on average 8 a month!! Sometimes alot less! I know, that in the United States, buying over the internet is very popular, but here in Canada, buying over the internet is sort of like getting teeth pulled, it is very painful to make a living!! Not many people purchase, they mostly shop, and browse! Is there anything, that I could do, to increase sales? Just to let you know, I sell Lexus(2), Toyota (2), Honda, and Acura, with plans to expand to Volkswagen, BMW, and maybe even Chrysler!! Could you offer me some advice for a new kid on the block!!

cedwards@openroaddirect.com
orlexus

Postby E-Man » Wed Oct 25, 2000 3:25 pm

There are two things an Internet car shopper wants when he or she gets to your website. "Do you have the car I want and how much is it?" To give them less is a waste of your time. If you don't give it to them, the guy down the street will.
Do you use any lead providers? If so, you need to wean yourself away from them and depend more on your website. You'll have more control and make more gross. Let the world know your website address!
Feel free to email me if you think I can help.

Tom
E-Man

Return to Digital Auto Marketing