Business Developement Center

Postby E-Man » Wed Oct 11, 2000 9:20 am

I'm in the process of setting up a Business Developement Center for my dealership and plan to integrate it with my Internet Dept. Any suggestions or comments? Will the two depts. be compatible? Do any of you use a software program that you would reccommend to track floor traffic, phone leads and E-leads (ACT 2000, Outlook etc)? Your insight will be appreciated.

Tom Browder
Internet Sales Manager
Jerry Ulm Dodge
tbrowder@jerryulmdodge.com
E-Man

Postby machado » Wed Oct 11, 2000 1:54 pm

I have looked into 4 systems in the last few months and all of them have merit.

#1 Traver Technologies www.travertech.com
#2 Sandi Jerome Computer Consultants sandi@olypen.com
#3 Automotive Directions distributed by:
American Financial & Automotive Services in Texas
#4 Web Control by AVV www.avv.com

In my humble opinion Traver is the best and is most expensive However, Ive yet to meet a dealer that has not thoroughly and genuinely loved the product. They are about to launch a web based product that my group is waiting for.

Currently we use Web Control and it is working well for our less demanding needs. We have long term plans to upgrade as our needs change. In our group we have the ISM overseeing our BDC in its infancy and it seems to be working well.

Only time will tell.

Take a peek at all four and see what suits your current needs the best. But, be sure that you plan for the future.

------------------
Greg Machado
E-Commerce Director &
Independant Consultant
http://www.gMACgroup.com
machado@gmacgroup.com

[This message has been edited by machado (edited 10-12-2000).]

machado

Postby cmosley » Thu Oct 12, 2000 2:09 pm

The idea of the merger is one that certainly has merit. Make sure you focus on staffing the department with the proper people. Generally the idea of merging the two departments is a great way to compensate your internet staff. I have been recommending Autoweb's system Salesenhancer as my CMS of choice. Feel free to drop me and e-mail with any questions.

------------------
Cory L. Mosley
Chief Consultant
Mosley Group A.I.C.
cmosley@mosleygroupaic.com www.mosleygroupaic.com
973-847-5951

[This message has been edited by cmosley (edited 10-12-2000).]

cmosley

Postby Bhoecht » Mon Oct 23, 2000 3:45 pm

Do not forget to check out www.eCustomerCentric.com (formerly Dealerkid).

At North York Chev Olds we have been using them for the past year and a half. To date they have done everything they ever said they would for us.

Running a BDC and doing Customer Relationship Management (CRM) is a solution that is more about people and process than about technology. The technology has to work, but how you use it is much more important. Look to that when you are making your decision.

------------------
Brian E. Hoecht

Brian E. Hoecht
Chief Financial Officer
North York Chevrolet Oldsmobile Ltd.
bhoecht@northyorkchev.com
Bhoecht

Postby dynamicgroup » Tue Oct 24, 2000 12:11 am

E-man I strongly suggest you proceed carefully when it comes to software. It won't be long before you see extremely better software from the major main frame providors. Many of the software recommendations I seem to see are in my opinion very expensive. Additionally, some require long term contracts.

Perhaps the most disturbing aspect is that it appears no one asked any questions regarding your dealership size, amount of employee etc. But yet are quick to make suggestions.

You asked about ACT and Outlook. I have seen ACT used and also Goldmine. I would need to know much more about your dealership before I could tell you if any of these would work for you. Issues such as number of users and need for security are important. If you can use an off the shelf product you naturally enjoy a major cost savings. (Typically an off the shelf product only costs around $200.00 and no monthly fees.)

Regarding the BDC and Internet operating together, generally the answer is yes. But again without further info regarding your dealership a definitive answer is not possible.

Please remember, the fact that a concept or program works well in one dealership in not necessarily a guarantee that it will work as well in another. Each dealership has it's own culture and as such careful planning is crucial.

I wish you the best in your BDC endeavors. Should you have any other questions please feel free to email me at dynamicgroup@msn.com

Forrest

------------------
Forrest Scott
2012 N Beech Daly
Dearborn Heights, MI 48127
888-677-6629 http://www.TheDynamicGroup.com

[This message has been edited by dynamicgroup (edited 10-24-2000).]

dynamicgroup

Postby onsiteforu@prodigy.n » Tue Oct 24, 2000 11:51 am

Dear Tom:
I recently pulled together a large 32 franchise dealership into one IBDC location. Yes the process can and will work well together but planning is very key to the success of its operation.
Software is something that you must review carefully before buying. The size of your IBDC accounts for processing( both by lead generating and lease call backs)is very important when selecting the package of software to use. AVV has a unique package for small to large groups and is something to look into. Goldmine is also a very easy program to incorperate into your IBDC daily activities. Just remember automation of your e-mail process is the key to success in all areas involved with the IBDC process.
To get started you could set up and use Outlook Express. It is simple and something a smaller group finds allows them to get started.
How many people do you plan to employ in your IBDC department? Will each person process all aspects of the operation or will they be selected to administrate only to one area of the operation?
If you need everyone working on the process together then invest in the best software possible as this will cut down on errors and omissions.
To discuss other areas of concern, please contact me at 888-662-4400.

Sylvia Zielke-President/Development/Consultant
On Site Internet Consulting, Inc.
onsiteforu@prodigy.n

Postby bobs@msh4auto.com » Fri Oct 27, 2000 8:26 am

I developed a process for tracking BDC performance/customer follow up with the Reynolds Salesvision System. It is probably not the best solution but works for people who have already purchased Salesvision and wish to see some results from thier investments. I have been dabbling in converting that to Goldmine or Act. However, converting that much data after 2 years gets very difficult. Lesson; Choose the right software for your project and don't be scared to spend money. Scheduling and Reporting your BDC traffic will make or break your department.
bobs@msh4auto.com

Postby Results » Tue Oct 31, 2000 10:54 pm

E-MAN Everybody is giving you some very solid advice. I think Act and Goldmine are very good sales management tools but in a high paced enviroment like the Internet they will bog you down. Greg Machado suggested some tools like Traver Tech and Web Control. I personally would never suggest Traver, but Web Control combo with Eudora or Outlook can do an excepceptional job at a pretty good price.
I don't suggest tying a lot of money into anything until your merge is complete and you can iron out some of the cross over data.
This is a competitive buisness and as time goes on we have more and more of the data manager companies prodvide more and more tools with their existing service like ADP and R&R. Take a good look at htem also.

Results

Postby Results » Tue Oct 31, 2000 10:55 pm

E-MAN Everybody is giving you some very solid advice. I think Act and Goldmine are very good sales management tools but in a high paced enviroment like the Internet they will bog you down. Greg Machado suggested some tools like Traver Tech and Web Control. I personally would never suggest Traver, but Web Control combo with Eudora or Outlook can do an excepceptional job at a pretty good price.
I don't suggest tying a lot of money into anything until your merge is complete and you can iron out some of the cross over data.
This is a competitive buisness and as time goes on we have more and more of the data manager companies prodvide more and more tools with their existing service like ADP and R&R. Take a good look at them also.

Results

Return to Digital Auto Marketing