Local vs Distance

Local vs Distance

Postby Andy28 » Sat Dec 16, 2000 10:58 am

I am an ISM for a Toyota,Jeep and Vw store. We have been at it for about 10 months with decent success(20 cars a month). My problem is this...when we started this my owner went by the philosophy that we were looking to get customers from other markets...not local customers who he says would normally come to the dealership anyway. This was,obviously, helped along by the floor sales manager who will do anything to keep the customers away from me. The only way I can figure to generate leads is by using the lead providers. Although we are getting a decent amount of deals from the lead generators,I don't feel it is cost effective with the amount we are paying. I guess my question to you guys is ..does anybody else have a situation like this? If so how do you handle it? If not what is a normal situation for this scenario? Any input from anybody about this will be GREATLY appreciated.

------------------
Andy Patton
Internet Sales Manager
Autos@haltermans.com
Andy28

Local vs Distance

Postby jimmuntz » Sat Dec 16, 2000 1:30 pm

Andy- Your problem is common. One of the most serious barriers to this selling channel is a lack of buy-in by the dealer and sales management.

What they fail to understand is that local customers that choose or prefer to research their purchase online will ultimately be lost to dealerships that do not have that sort of buy-in.

Many will suggest how you can overcome this barrier, but I think the prospect of success in bringing uncooperative management to the party is limited at best. If the management team members are not Internet users, then they may never understand what they could be missing.

Continued short-sightedness will untimately lead to reduced market share as Internet savvy dealers steal some of yours.

I too am interested in how others have overcome this barrier. But try to stay away from just complaining. Real solutions are much more interesting.

------------------
Jim Muntz
Publisher WD&S Publishing
jimmuntz@dealersedge.com
Phone 800-321-5312
FAX 800-314-4770

jimmuntz

Local vs Distance

Postby swindler » Sun Dec 17, 2000 8:08 pm

Andy,

My best answer to your dilemna is a simple one. Get them to advertise the dealership URL address on the front of the building, letterheads, envelopes, all advertising media, service and parts vehicles, pens, key fobs, etc. I had the same problem here in Auburn, Maine until I got management to understand that what I had accomplished for them is a whole new dealership on-line.

Your on-line store never closes like theirs. Your on-line store doesn't pre-judge the customer based on appearances. That's what they have to understand. Their customers might not want to come in and browse the inventory only to be approached by a salesperson. They may want a hassle-free buying experience, so why not promote the on-line store.

Where I work, we are now known as roweauburn.com. The management team has seen the difference and now supports everything I do. Don't give up! What they need to see is that for only a few hundred or few thousand (hopefully not too much!), that they have opened another dealership. Get them to see and realize that.

I don't use lead providers any more. We advertise our URL as our dealership primary name and are selling from 45-60 units per month now versus 25-30 units 6-months ago.

Good luck!

Sincerely,

------------------
Dean Swindler
Internet Manager
The Rowe Dealerships

www.roweauburn.com
swindler

Local vs Distance

Postby Matt Parsons » Mon Dec 18, 2000 7:48 am

The short sighted behavior of Andy28's management team is very typical of many dealers who don't understand the Digital Consumer. It amazes me that they would take the time and effort to serve prospects outside of their traditional territory in a new way (with the assumption that it will attract a certain set of new clients), but will refuse to treat their traditional market area the same way. Has anyone in your store (besides you) thought about the fact that if your traditional customers can't be dealt with in a way that suits them, that a dealer outside your area (or within) will, and you will lose them to the competition? This is no different than the approach your store is taking to areas outside of your area.

Don't be afraid to let the customer drive the way in which the interaction occurs, no matter which way they use to contact you or where they live.

Good Luck - it sounds as though you have an uphill battle in changing the mindset of your management team.
Matt Parsons

Local vs Distance

Postby Andy28 » Mon Dec 18, 2000 9:38 am

I think my biggest problem is not the ownership who has been behind this 100%(alright maybe 90%)but the sales mangers who are in his ear every 5 minutes. I appreciate you guys validating what I thought to be the problem. I'll have to continue to work on this problem. Thanks.

------------------
Andy Patton
Internet Sales Manager
Autos@haltermans.com
Andy28

Local vs Distance

Postby tbrowder » Thu Dec 21, 2000 3:41 pm

Welcome to the world of peddling car's via the Internet!
Your problem is shared by 95% of the people that attempt to do what we do.
First thing I would do is see if you really do have the support of your owner. If you truly do have his support, I'm sure he'll get the other managers in line. Of course, they'll all hate you because they'll have to give up some of their control over you. Remember, it's a control issue.
Again, go to your owner and have him get them in line.
Good luck!!
tbrowder

Local vs Distance

Postby bassador » Thu Jan 11, 2001 4:29 pm

I'm a web site designer and this problem pops up all the time.. the ISM gets by passed on the internet deals and internet leads who visit the dealership.

So... we made a few changes on those sites.

1. A photo of the ISM is featured prominently on the Home Page of the Dealership. Near the top of the page, and large enough to notice, along with that person's title and DIRECT contact information. Something like "For immediate assistance, contact John Doe, Internet Sales Manager.... etc"

2. All specials, featured vehicles etc also have the ISM's photo and direct contact information right there with it.

3. Every sales related page contains, near the top, the ISM's direct contact info, every form states "for immediate assistance contact ISM.. etc"

4. After a form is filled out, the user is taken to a Thank You page that has.... well, I'll bet you can guess by now :-)

In short we saturated those sites with the ISM's information to encourage the consumer to specifically ASK for that person when visiting the dealership.

email me and I'll send you a URL of where this is implemented so you can see it in action. It's helped...
bassador

Return to Digital Auto Marketing