selling parts on the internet? successful?

Postby toyotaguy22 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:55 pm

Hello there,
We have a website for parts but, all I seem to get is international requests to pay by credit card. These people want me to ship parts all over the world, in large quanities and hope they dont reverse the charges.
Is anyone having sucess with this or other internet sales?
As Always - Thank you!
toyotaguy22

Postby Spoken » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:25 pm

Hehe are most of the orders from Nigeria and require 5000 of a spark plug or other item?
Spoken

Postby used2whinnig » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:08 pm

Check out Pay Pal
used2whinnig

Postby fburrows » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:52 pm

As most of you know, the majority of these are scams. They will provide a check or credit card that appears to be valid but eventually will get charged back by the bank.

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck.

------------------
Frank Burrows
fburrows@absdata.com
fburrows

Postby Karen Ann » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:38 pm

I have noticed that the US Parts "Wholesalers" and even E-bay listings all charged outrageous shipping for going outside of the US... That may help your international requests? or Even a flat out "Ship Only to North America" or "Continental USA" would give you the freedom to ignore any orders from outside those areas. (Like investing for retirement... Risk vs Reward?)
Karen Ann

Postby Toyotaguy » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:49 am

Hello Toyota guy too....

We have done the online thing, Shipping thing. It takes time and advertising. Most online Toyota stores have been doing this for years and have a customer base. If you offer it and provide good service it will build but you must also advertise. I actually decided against the selling through a website. Toyota's changes part numbers, pricing availablitly to often. Takes a lot to up keep. Didn't have the time to keep it going like I wanted to. But the people who i did sell to continue to purchase. We now offer direct mailers to these customers.

As for the international. Don't get involved with it at all. Just be specific with your shipping details that you do not ship out of US.

Stay with it and good luck

[This message has been edited by Toyotaguy (edited 11-08-2007).]

Toyotaguy

Postby MHI » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:22 am

Wow - there are a lot of Toyota persons on here. I have had some experience selling parts online, well actually a lot. I agree with Toyotaguy. Don't sell internationally. You are bound to run into a scam. If it sounds to good to be true.... Now I do believe in building a web site, advertising it and taking care of customers to build a base. I have seen it work many times. Just my 2 cents.
MHI

Postby Strap22 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:26 pm

Just as there are a lot of Toyota guys on here there are also a lot on the Internet. We have been doing the Internet for 5 years and it does take a lot of work but it continues to grow and build on itself. Low margins, a lot of time and effort but it does pay in the end. I say pick a niche and go for it.
Strap22

Re: selling parts on the internet? successful?

Postby CharliMackerras » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:11 am

great post forever.
CharliMackerras

Return to Digital Auto Marketing