AS/400 Terminals losing Connection?

Postby aksales » Tue Jan 09, 2001 7:55 pm

Hello, this is Jason Wilhelm with Alaska Sales and Service again with another problem. We have been experiencing a problem with dumb terminals (3488/3489) losing connection to the 400. If you are at the terminal, you will experience your session slowing way down, to the point that you can see the screen refresh when you go to another location on the system. The session will continue to be slow, then the screen will go blank, cursor in the top right hand side of the screen. Wait about 10-15 seconds, the terminal will beep, and you will be back at the login screen. When you try to log back in you will get the 1 or 90 screen, or sometimes you will get kicked right back to the login screen again. Sometimes the only way to get the job ended is to catch it in wrkactjob and do an endjob. Again we have worked with EDS Hardware support, unfortunately without success. If any dealer out there has experienced this please let us know if you have a fix, or possibly we could hammer out one together.

-Jason Wilhelm
Alaska Sales and Service
aksales

Postby partstom » Thu Jan 11, 2001 6:39 pm

Jason,are your terminals daisy chained or do they go to a hub?If they are daisy chained i'd try a new or known good balun, and cable.The same goes for a hub.If you have a hub take the terminal to the hub,& use a new
cable, see if it's cableing.If this doesn't work let me know.
Tom Siebert
tsiebert@saturnofrochester.com
partstom

Postby edh » Tue Jan 16, 2001 4:31 pm

Jason, hello my name is Ed Hopcraft from Nash Chevrolet in Atlanta, GA. I noticed from another question you had posted that you have document manager also. Have these problems just cropped up since installing document manager. If so, is it a general system slow down or just these isolated devices?
edh

Postby aksales » Tue Jan 16, 2001 4:47 pm

Well, thank you Tom and Ed for your replies. First off our terminals are not daisy chained, they are wired to twinax hubs. We have replaced the baluns on the terminals themselves and on the controller. Currently we are exploring the possibility that it could be anything connected to the terminals, ie monitor, keyboard, printer. We have switched out one of the termials with a know good one, and we are slowly ruling out possibilities. So far IBM says the controller card in our 400 is OK, the terminals have been switched out with good ones, so I have to say they are OK, we have to have the wiring checked, and so on. To answer Ed's question, we have had Doc Manager since we installed the system in 97. The problem we are collectivly working on in this thread only slows down the affected terminals, not the system in whole. Thanks again for your posts, and lets see if we can get this working!
aksales

Return to ADP Users Forum