Is this why ADP does what ADP does?

Postby Jay Daniels » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:53 pm

[This message has been edited by Jay Daniels (edited 08-01-2009).]

Jay Daniels

Postby deboss » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:22 am

Jay,

Thank you for the history lesson. Unfortunately it contains some incorrect statements. If you look a little further into the history of RR guage you will find it predated the Roman Empire. The later history/theory is correct but the origon is far earlier. What would you propose as a thinking outside the box guage. Should it have been wide enough to accomdate taking the shuttle back to Florida by rail? When one "thinks outside the box" you still have to deal with reality and practicality.

The title to your post is somewhat of a stretch. My store does not have ADP we have a DMS that "thought outside the box" years ago. However if you check ADP's annual report you will find they (the automotive division) have done pretty well in an industry that is struggling. They must be doing something right. The reason ADP does what it does is sometimes classified as a four letter word - "PROFIT". The same reason your employeer has you on the payroll.

------------------
deboss

Postby petepuma01 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:20 am

Interesting follow-up to the original post:

http://www.snopes.com/history/american/gauge.asp
petepuma01

Postby cantfind122 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:16 pm

Jay Daniels,

I understand your plight and admire your tenacity. I too, am the sort of person who feels an assembly of all the best aspects of any system (automotive, medical, logistics etc) should be something to strive for. I envy those who can let it go and work with what they have because that's the way it is. I'm slowly getting there but it has taken a lot of desensitization. I also am horrifically a devils advocate type of person (as my wife she wants to kill me) which I beleive makes things fair and objective. At this point I can't be sure which DMS is the best and I constantly ask users of various backgrounds and experience their opinion. I would LOVE to see and formal survey of the same. Maybe that is the dirction to take this. But until then picture Robert Duval in Apocolypse Now kneeling on one knee on the beach where napalm has just been dropped, mortar rounds are exploding behind him and his troops are surfing in dangerous waters while he says to Martin Sheehan with a tone of regret "someday this will all be over."
cantfind122

Postby Jay Daniels » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:54 pm

Deboss: Thank you for your post. According to your profile, you have been a member since 11-14-2006, with a total of 28 posts. You appear to use your posts most judiciously. I apologize to all for using some poetic license as an illustration.

We in retail have a never ending raising of the bar as far as customer expectations. We continue to meet those expectations. Should our DMS provider be exempt from those expectations? We must meet them to remain profitable, it seems the DMS providers can remain dormant and reap the rewards. Require of others, what others require of you (excellence). Oh by the way, I did Understand the subtle innuendo referring to profit as a four
Letter word.

petepuma01: Please see the above apology for poetic license.

cantfind122: You loose me in some of the analogies you present but you seem to be sincere in your desire to make positive change. Positive change can be made when people who are genuinely concerned will listen to others who are genuinely concerned. To ask someone who has always been A loyal subscriber to their product how they can make it better; most times they will receive input only from what they know. How things can be made better can only be determined by sitting down with people with other experiences and see what works best for them. If you have only had corn to eat all your life, then a little salt and pepper on the corn would be great.
The DMS should work for the subscriber, the DMS should not dictate the actions of the subscriber.

My only objective is to get someones attention that can make a difference. ADP must have a budget for improvement of the product. I cant believe a company this large doesnt have an interest in customer satisfaction. At this time I have no interest in a paid position but have much free input if anyone is interested. If they are all still alive, I have numerous acquaintances throughout the nation that could give valuable (free) input to anyone who was interested in improving a product.

OK HERE GOES (exmopar and any others that I may have offended). I apologize for anything I have said that may have offended anyone out there. However; if you dont expect excellence you wont get excellence.

I really thought I would work for another year or three; however with my current DMS, I may not last that long.

------------------
It is a good thing when seeking perfection to learn to accept excellence as a suitable alternative. It is not a good thing when seeking excellence to accept mediocrity as a substitute.

Do not hesitate to expect of others what others expect of you (excellence).

Jay Daniels

Jay Daniels

Postby Jay Daniels » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:12 am

Deboss:
I understand profit very well. For a number of years I was paid on departmental 'net' profit and made pretty good money. I further understand that if it were not for profit made by companies I would not be receiving the dividends I do on my investments.

By the way, My wife has a substantial ammount of stock in Automatic Data Processing (Public, NASDAQ:ADP) .

That is another reason I am so interested in this.

[This message has been edited by Jay Daniels (edited 07-30-2009).]

Jay Daniels

Postby exmopar » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:49 am

As promised Jay, previous post removed.

As you have previously stated, one should not get a "tone" from printed word, but some seem to have the knack to do just that. I, for one, will do my best to keep it down.

In these days of uncertainty, we need all the help we can get, and this forum is just one of the solutions.

As for ADP, your analogy is somewhat correct, but keep in mind that even Microsoft, which we all know is on every PC, still has lines of code from the Windows 3.0 days. Not everything can be changed at once, and sometimes shouldn't be. Look at ReyRey and see what happened to them - they put all of their eggs in a new software platform and lost because it didn't work and are now part of UCS because of it. Now their software hasn't changed in years either. I'm sure ADP does not want to make the same mistake.

If we look at the automotive business, most of the basic parts are still the same "design" as when they were invented yet they have not perfected ball joints, u-joints, steering parts, etc, yet we replace everyday and make a profit from poor design and manufacturing. The IT tech is the DMS's "mechanic", same as we have ours - for their profit.

ex

------------------
No, i'm sure you said left, right?

[This message has been edited by exmopar (edited 07-30-2009).]

exmopar

Postby Jay Daniels » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:34 pm

deboss

What DMS do you use?
Jay Daniels

Postby deboss » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:19 pm

Jay,

Thank you for your "understanding" of my occasionaly offbeat humor. Sometimes it can get me in trouble.

We have been using the Autosoft DMS for a great number of years now. We have been quite happy with it and have watched it imporve and grow with us over the years.

I agree with your basic assesment of ADP. If is a good program and obviously has been quite financially successful for them. It is hard to argue with their success. They have created a hierarchy/bureacracy (sp) that hinders or perhaps stiffles innovation. It will most likely survive and continue to thrive due to other market forces for the time being. Times change however.

deboss

Postby Jay Daniels » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:32 am

exmopar: You missed one, the next to last post which is on page two of subject:

ADP vs R&R help needed

That one needs to leave also (as promoised).
-------------------
Jay
Jay Daniels

Next

Return to ADP Users Forum