DS / S selling Parts - can you prevent?

Postby TL_parts » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:37 pm

trying to find a way to prevent parts folks from accidentally 'selling' parts via DS / S.

if you post a # on the DS line, it goes magically somewhere, and removes it from inventory, but yet it does not record the sale on an invoice or RO...

incase i'm not saying it right, if you are in DS -> S. then enter a part number and enter a number, then enter - it removes that quantity from the system, yet it is not on a document.

is there a way to prevent that ? I would like to keep DS turned on - we use that for inventory adjustments.

any thoughts? thank you in advance.
TL_parts

Postby prtsmgr » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:13 pm

deleted

[This message has been edited by prtsmgr (edited 09-06-2012).]

prtsmgr

Postby Gerry Laughlin » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:51 pm

I havent used DS since the paper ROs and posting slips went away, and really dont see a situation where you would in todays environment. For inventory adjustments I use PS, and access to that is limited to me or my assistant. What else are you using DS for besides adjustments?
Gerry Laughlin

Postby jazdale » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:11 am

A couple thoughts

1. Having trouble understanding how you can trust your guys to make physical inventory adjustments, but they make mistakes like this. To butcher a saying - It sounds like a drunk fox is counting the chickens in the coop.

2. When you do make the mistake of selling the part. Hit D to redisplay the last part sold and unsell it with a negative number.

3 PDA, RTR and RPG TRANS file can isolate the accidental sales done in PS
jazdale

Postby Gerry Laughlin » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:20 am

Also if you go into MSOA you can turn on required REASONS for adjustments as well as set up the reasons. And once again access to PS is limited. I wanted to get in and double check but my counter guys don't even have access to DS, it just doesn't leave a good enough audit trail.
Gerry Laughlin

Postby TL_parts » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:08 pm

I do have reason codes setup, but when you 'forget' to tell it what to do (no M / P / C entered) it wont prompty for a reason code. That being said, why do we use DS? I guess its just the way we were trained / rasied. None of us use "PS" for anything. I habitually use DS for part info (DS/L usually) but some of the othes use DS/S.

i have a report that goes and fetches any DS transaction with no code (blank sale) and that will tell me what needs fixing.

PDA->G->Transactions

Program Name EQ DS
Transaction Code EQ ""
Transaction Date %

I think the answer is to learn how to use PS with restricted access and relearn our other guys a habit to use DL instead of DS.

that being said, we go on DRIVE before the end of the year, who knows whats differet there.

any other ideas welcome!

[This message has been edited by TL_parts (edited 09-07-2012).]

TL_parts

Postby GMCANADA » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:44 pm

Have someone with security knowledge to remove your staff from having access to "DS". Sounds like an inventory nightmare if you allow it to continue.
GMCANADA

Postby jazdale » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:37 pm

TL
I prefer DS over PS.

DS allows stringing parts and displays basic info like the OH before you make any changes.

PS simply prompts for part and QTY. No info display unless you screw up.
Works great in the rare situation of batching qty sales from an Excel paste.

You're on the right track with the PDA report.

DS, PS and DL exist with Drive.

jazdale

Postby Gerry Laughlin » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:37 pm

I make adjustments maybe 2 or 3 times a month and every one of those have been thoroughly researched before I make the adjustment in PS. Which really leads to the real question of what is causing so many adjustments that you actually want to leave access to a job in place that could be having a negative impact? What else are your guys using DS for?
Gerry Laughlin

Return to ADP Users Forum