network EPC units

network EPC units

Postby sallen1 » Thu Jun 29, 2000 7:06 am

Hi,

We've installed the parts catalog system to replace our ADP catalog. Started with a PC server for the EDS stuff and hooked it into the ADP network, no problem. Then added another PC work station, no problem. In fact, all catalogs (ADP and EDS) were working at the same time. Then we hooked up the third PC and now none of the PC units want to talk to the network. Tried different combinations, too. Any two PC connected: no problem. It's only when all three are connected. Replaced network cards, etc: same results.

Am I missing something?

scott
sallen1

network EPC units

Postby Richard » Thu Jun 29, 2000 8:37 am

Yep, you are....something about your hub is not allowing more than 2 'slaves'. Also, make sure all your cards are set to the correct standard, either 10 bps, or 100 bps.
I still think you will find it to be either a hub problem, or MAYBE an IP address collision.
Richard

network EPC units

Postby Matt Parsons » Thu Jun 29, 2000 11:59 am

I received your message about losing connectivity to all of your systems when adding a third PC. The problem that you are probably running into resides with GMAccess. If you are using the GMAccess domain or workgroup to connect, there are only a certain number of connections purchased by your dealership. GMAccess will need to add another user to the server for you to gain access to its workgroup.

Also make sure the IP address for each system is different. You are also given a range of IP Addresses, usually ending with 100-150. If you are using anything outside of this range, it will not connect to your network.

If this is not your issue, please give me a call.

James Powers
Technical Product Representative
EDS Parts Imager
1-800-633-6323
Matt Parsons

network EPC units

Postby Gerry Laughlin » Thu Jun 29, 2000 1:13 pm

Sallen,
We have the same setup as you do. I don't think I would go the adding more users route, in parts there shouldn't be much of a need to access GM Access. Personnally I would put the parts catalog pc's in there own workgroup, and not have them log into or have any drives mapped to the GMAccess Server. To accomplish this, right click on Network neighborhood, then go to properties.
Next click on the Identification tab and change the workgroup name to "parts". Next go to the configuration tab and click on Client for Microsoft networks. Unclick the box that says "Logon to Windows NT network", then reboot each pc. Do that to all your Parts catalog stations and they will be in there own workgroup instead of in the GMAXXXXX domain. If you have any problems send me an email and I will give you a buzz.

Gerry Laughlin
Gerry Laughlin

network EPC units

Postby sallen1 » Sat Jul 01, 2000 7:44 am

Hey, thanx for the help. Here's how we solved the problem.

First, we did not go thru the GM Access network, the one for the catalogs is separate. The ADP was over a 10mbs thin-wire (coax) with the screens and a printer on a daisy chain. The initial install was just a substitution of the PC units for the ADP screens with the terminator at the EPC server. Now what we're going to do is put the thin-wire to the EPC server and go to a 100mbs hub from there. There's no need to pull the invoicing screens at anything higher that 10mbs, the we do need the faster connection for the EDP Parts Imager.

Again, thanx for the suggestions.

scott
sallen1

network EPC units

Postby Gerry Laughlin » Sat Jul 01, 2000 9:35 am

Sallen,
These questions are asked strictly out of plain old curiousity. As I understand it you are going to make the Parts Imager server Multihomed with 2 NIC's. One NIC going to the ADP box over thin wire the other going to a 100 mbs hub using CAT5 wire. Then you are going to use routing in NT workstation to get the two talking back and forth. Are your parts imager clients on a private IP range, or are they on the same IP range as your ADP equipment?

Thanks
Gerry
Gerry Laughlin

Return to ADP Users Forum