System Security

System Security

Postby Richard » Thu Feb 15, 2001 3:17 pm

Is there anyway to tighten up security? Either that, or be able to more closely monitor what users do on the system? I really wish that the system were more secure, and we could have better controls over exactly what functions employees can perform.
Richard

System Security

Postby Rick Ruemenapp » Wed Feb 21, 2001 10:14 am

Richard, There are many ways "Tighten up Security" It's all in the way you have setup up the system. We use three levels of security, One the IBM AS/400 security, which allows an organization to lock down a system, right down to nothing by user or as open and generic as you wish to have. As a matter of fact, IBM through out a challenge to all the Internet hackers, that they would publish Lou Gerners Corporate Credit card number on their AS/400, which was connected to the web. If they could get it, they would let them use it for a year. Needless to say no one got it.

Second, is EDS Security, We secure each application down to function, Entry access, Inquiry access, Reports access, and Maintenance access. This allows the system admistraor to control by user what application(s), what Company, what functions, and what fields show to the individual user.

Third, is application security, which allows the department manager the ability to control the level of access to the application in their department. For example, Service, Giving the ability to override pricing or the ability to override taxing.

Due to the nature of this subject, I cannot go into details regarding specific security controls, however if you which to contact me personally you can reach me at Richard.Ruemenapp@EDS.com or through our support desk at (800) 633-6323. I would glad to work with you to change the system settings in order to better control system security.
Rick Ruemenapp

Return to ADP Users Forum