remote access of websuite

Postby teriz » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:20 pm

Thanks I will look into that Ron unfortunalty I dont think my dealer will see the benefit to that cost because he is how he his but I will try! Hey Jon Graves, I tried to download it to my external hard drive and no luck. Can you walk me through this and also share that link you were talking about?
teriz

Postby Gerry Laughlin » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:19 pm

Can't you just install LogMeIn on a PC then remote in thru that? It's free and it works.
Gerry Laughlin

Postby slapenta » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:40 pm

Ideally Cisco VPN access is great for ADP users, but in my experiences I have found that some dealership didn't purchase the VPN hub, which comes with price. As Gerry pointed out, applications like PCAnywhere or LogMeIn have worked fine for me in the past...allows me to complete any task in the dealership's DMS system that I require.

Steve LaPenta
slapenta

Postby Jon » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:40 pm

I agree that 3rd party access works fine, it has been a life saver for numerous support situations with the PC itself. My caution to anyone using it is to make sure that you understand proper configuration so that you, and only you, are the one with access. I am now the IT guy for 2 stores with 85 PC's and I have been looking very closely at security on an ongoing basis. Most of you would be scared silly if you knew the amount of exposure that your network has just by virtue of being connected to the world via the Internet, so called firewalls are there for the protection of your DMS provider more than the dealer. Add in a wide open door due to a mis-configured remote access product and you may get a very painful and expensive lesson on what unethical crooks could do to you in minutes.

I'm not saying don't do it, just understand the risks and be sure that you are diligent in protecting your network and ultimately your job.

Jon
Jon

Previous

Return to ADP Users Forum