Cashiering Issue

Cashiering Issue

Postby 69mach1 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:43 pm

Our office manager has asked me to see if any one out there has worked on this,
i am inserting her e-mail below,

I am trying to complete set-up for the parts department Cash Deposit Sheet.

The issue I am having is when closing a parts invoice we do not have the option of choosing a Sale Type.

I would like to be able to have choices like we do when closing repair orders.

Currently all sales are being closed to either Cash or Other. In order to utilize the deposit report I need the

options of: Cash, Checks, Amexp, Discover, MC and VISA.

my reply to her on this question is i am not going to install the same option as the service department has , the large amount of retail and wholesale we have. when the customer comes in the invoice is all ready hanging up for them in and out service, if they change there mind and pay for it with credit card vs check who is going to redo the paper work.
I think what she is looking for is some type of payment question when the cashier is closing the invoice.

69mach1

Cashiering Issue

Postby scotstrong » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:36 pm

Have run into this before at other stores. Often it is a case of the office manager trying to make their own job easier and create a separate sale type for every possible payment type so that they can merely run schedules to balance to rather than whatever manual combination of steps is required on their end. Only problem is that the amount of extra work and administration (and potential for errors) is about tenfold the amount of work they are trying to save/avoid. The tail is attempting to wag the dog, so to speak. As you alluded to, people do often change their minds at the last minute, credit cards get declined, and people sometimes request a "split" of more than one type of payment (part cash, part credit or check). There is no possible way you can set up a schedule for every eventuality without a ridiculous amount of problems and extra work. At some point, enough is enough!

Even saw one office manager who wanted to mulptiply this times two for taxable and non-taxable. Isn't our business complicated enough without being our own worst enemies to boot?
scotstrong

Cashiering Issue

Postby texaslp » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:36 pm

I've never found a way to do that. Maybe we need to put in a PCR.
texaslp

Cashiering Issue

Postby jazdale » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:29 pm

This isn't a problem to set up, or use.

1. Build all the appropiate payment types as sale types in function OSTY. The only difference will be the debit account, and maybe the term's description.

2. Turn on cashiering in OSCA. Notice how you can choose to make cashiering optional. This works well for A/R charge customers.

3. When you print the invoice, you can choose option CA to cashier it immediately, or have the cashier close it after receiving payment. The cashier has the ability to close the invoice in the service logon under CAS where s/he also closes the
RO's.

4. Run or jobstack the RPG report for Invoices to Cashier. This is a report on all invoices that are not closed. While you're still learning, you may not realize that the invoices are not closed, hence not in accounting either.
jazdale

Cashiering Issue

Postby texaslp » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:52 pm

Scot I have to disagree somewhat with your analysis. Anytime something can be done as an automated rather than a manual process, I'm all for it. Another consideration is how much you rely on archived copies of a document. Sure accounting can manually post the invoice to a different account, but you will not see this change on an archived copy. This becomes relevant when a part is returned. If the customer originally paid by credit card,you're obligated to refund by credit card not cash. So then the issue is compounded when the credit invoice is issued to the wrong account.

For a small dealership, to manually seperate cash and charge tickets is not a big deal, but I can see this being a problem to reconcile in accounting if there is a lot of volume. Have you ever been involved in reconciling the cash/credit card clearing accounts or reconciling the daily deposit? I think your response indicates you haven't considered what it's like walking in the other dept's shoes.

[This message has been edited by texaslp (edited 04-29-2009).]

texaslp

Cashiering Issue

Postby scotstrong » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:04 am

texaslp:

As a matter of fact, I have helped fill in in the office for people on vacation. I have reconciled or helped reconcile cash and credit card clearing accounts, internet payment schedules, a/r schedules, warranty schedules. I am all for automation almost wherever possible. The point I was making (and, yes, usually as regards smaller stores) is that it sometimes get taken to a ridiculous extreme. Procedures that make it take longer to cashier customers have to be scrutinized as to whether the benefits to the accounting dept. outweigh the inconvenience to the customer. Procedures that create more work for someone else than the amount of work being saved also need to be scrutinized as to their true ultimate "value" to the dealership; and if their is a compelling "security" reason to do so.
scotstrong

Cashiering Issue

Postby texaslp » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:31 am

Sorry Scott, your tail wagging the dog comment boiled my blood a little bit because when it comes to acctg issues acctg IS the dog and I all too often run into non-acctg people who don't understand or don't care to understand why things have to be done in certain ways or don't care how much extra work is put on the office. And I totally agree that the customer shouldn't be inconvenienced, but there should be a way to do it right for acctg that really isn't that cumbersome for parts. I haven't looked at osca yet, but it sounds like it should work.
texaslp

Cashiering Issue

Postby scotstrong » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:23 am

Yes, us parts people can be a little overly sarcastic/cynical at times.
scotstrong

Cashiering Issue

Postby JEFFG » Fri May 01, 2009 12:31 pm

Jazdale is right on. You can set this up as he stated.

One thing we do with our internal and charge invoices is set them up to close once the invoice is printed. That way you only have the non A/R invoices to cashier. Works very well at our store. We run close to 100 parts invoices per day.
JEFFG

Cashiering Issue

Postby TheOne » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:09 am

Texaslp,

Accounting IS NOT THE DOG. Yes it is vital, yes it is important, no it should not be margianlized, but no it is not the dog. It is a support function in every sense of the word.

The dog is those job functions that create revenue and gross profit.
TheOne

Next

Return to ADP Users Forum