How can ADP make an automotive parts counterman's life bette

Postby Gerry Laughlin » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:43 am

Jay,
Procs are procedures that a few parts or dealer managers learned how to write, they are performed on a different level than what you see on a day to day basis, it is more at like the "command" (tcl) level. It is basically a string of commands, almost a small program. The ability to write procs was one of the few areas that I felt ADP kicked butt, but ADP has locked down access to this level and made access to writing them just about impossible. Anything else I say will sound critical of ADP so I will shut up now.
Gerry
Gerry Laughlin

Postby Jay Daniels » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:19 pm

Gerry Laughlin: First and foremost I would like to thank you for responding to my inquiry. I must admit the purpose of my first thread may have been somewhat ambiguous. However; my only purpose is to educate, particularly myself as to what tools are available at the counter, but others like partsangel who didnt even know about SDL. I too use SDL for tire sales, do you have your PM comments print so that you can give a detailed description of the tire? I have a problem that I must always add the description when the quote is made, otherwise the S/A or tech is back looking for a detailed description.

I visited the website you have posted in your profile so I guess you are really who you say you are and welcome further input. When you and radfahrer entered a previous thread, it was a breath of fresh air to see that those possessing wisdom are able to see through comments made out of frustration.

Partsangel: You dont have to be concerned with SDL it has potential limited only to your imagination. It contains only part numbers, when you add them to an RO or invoice, they assume real time attributes. I dont know about other manufacturers but the one with whom I have been affiliated for the last 41 years has part number formatting issues. ADP is far superior to R&R in self formatting when copying and pasting from the catalog to invoice entry. (Dont forget to utilize the quantity column as well as the comment column)

------------------
Jay Daniels

Jay Daniels

Postby jazdale » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:31 am

PartsAngel

SDL is a great way to remind you of other parts sold in a bundle or a listing of multiple supersessions. Its also awesome for campaign lists.

For selling parts at menu pricing, Unattached RO quotes are the best answer.

Setup RO quotes by going into function PRO and at the RO number prompt - hit F6. This will allow you to set up parts at pre-determined quantities and sale amounts.

The quote number/name can be anything you want, as long as it doesn't contain spaces.

When you really want to sell this quote, get into the line you want to sell and at the part-no. prompt hit F6. From here you can type in the quote name or hit F1 for a list of quotes.

Use function SFR to make it a permanent quote, otherwise it will delete after a few weeks.
jazdale

Postby Mike » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:10 pm

I use SDL to show alternative brake pad numbers. I take the OEM number and make it the SDL name then I add the OEM number, the ceramic, and the metalic number to the list. Beside each one I use the Delco number to describe it's composition (17D1092CH. I also use SDL to show multiple replacing parts.
Mike

Postby cantfind122 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:25 pm

This is a common conversation that is somewhat confusing when talking about the different DMS'. As with any profession ADP's language often means something different than say R&R. You hears the terms "kits" and "quotes" kicked around alot. Here is the major difference. As I mentioned earlier the premise of SDL was a vehicle for multiple supercessions. "A" is now "A" "B" and "C". Pricing applies using whatever matrix, source control etc you have built. Master updates will also change prices (for SDL parts) if the map is built to do so. Quotes act like the the term implies. Mr. Customer comes in to buy a part you build a quote and the system hangs onto whatever you told him to begin with (a promise is a promise kinda). But, and this is the big catch....if you want to apply that quote across the board (for say menu pricing) you have to make it a "permanent quote." Of course permanent quote pricing can be changed but you must go back into the quote and change it. Both work its just a matter of which gets the job done the way you want it to. Okay I think I've even bored myself. Hope that helps.
cantfind122

Postby Jay Daniels » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:39 pm

Cantfind122:
Master updates will also change prices (for SDL parts) if the map is built to do so. How does one find out if the map is built to do so? I thought updates affected all parts and the part numbers were simply re-applied to an invoice/RO at real time. Is that not correct?

Of course permanent quote pricing can be changed but you must go back into the quote and change it. Is that a manual process??? How must one change that price?

Jazdale:
A MAJOR concern of mine is this: A repair order is opened with two jobs on it. One has the customer complaints and a courtesy inspection job. The tech finds six items that need attention with a total of 24 parts. That whole upsell quote was done on one job, the courtesy inspection line. The S/A sells all of it and adds jobs (C D E F G H). As I see it, you have two choices, you either re-type all the part numbers on the correct jobs or you apply them to the courtesy inspection job and spend the next ten minutes moving one line at a time to the correct job. Is there a way to assign a job letter to each individual line on the quote or is that not an option. Another thought is that if you dont move it one item at a time, all those part numbers remain as a quote and clutter on the line on which it was quoted. I hope I dont get stoned to death for saying it, but it was possible with another DMS. Are an unattached quote a work around for this?

Jazdale, you did ask in another thread how you could get in touch with me. I did answer that question. It was DevilsAdvocate.Jd@gmail.com.
I would appreciate being able to exchange ideas in depth rather than lengthy posts in this thread. If we can keep these posts clear, concise, and to the point we will benefit more people.

By the way, if you have any STROKE with the people who run this forum, you might ask that the second post in this thread be removed as it may discourage some people with something to add or learn from contributing.

------------------
Jay Daniels

Jay Daniels

Postby jazdale » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:28 am

Jay & all,

Here's the scoop on price master and SDL and RO quotes.

SDL will always use the most current pricing. It is simply typing the part for you at the prompt and using the customer's price code for a selling price.

RO quotes locks onto the pricing at the time of creating the quote. When building the quote, you can store an override - such as a filter using the S=500 for a fixed sale amount of $5.00.
Since it also locks cost, use function UPQ (update permanent quote) to maintain accuracy with accounting. This routine can be jobstacked.

I've acknowledged the issue with creating quotes and only being able to move one part at a time. It's a design that needs enhancing.

However.... When you have tech terminals and price guides, it is a very smooth, efficient process. Techs create additional work request lines that automatically have the parts attached to each line. Once the writer approves the requests, the parts are pre-sold to the appropiate line with an accurate quantity and price.
If you have these products, please put forth the effort to understand and implement this workflow. It requires a team effort that can really pay off in saving time, improves accuracy, generates more sales-per-RO, and ultimately customer satisfaction.

I noticed that you softened your approach and do appreciate it. I pondered not contacting you because I didn't want to take on a rant at a personal level. I don't have VP in my title, nor do I have power over our development team. I can only make suggestions through the normal channels.

Concerning the personal attacks, I agree. Hopefully a moderator will acknowledge your request.

A very hearty thank you to all that assisted me in this heated discussion.
jazdale

Postby exmopar » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:32 am

I agree with Jazdale - Jay, you have softened your approach and I appreciate that - thank you. Now, if some members (not myself) get an apology from you, I will remove ASAP myself as well as this portion above.

On what has been said in this thread, parts can also be moved under PFC in service, sometimes much quicker than under PRO in parts. Sometimes it's just easier to bill them out, and move under service if there is a lot of parts. Do I agree with doing it this way - no - this is one of the areas of ADP I do not like.

As for permanent quotes, it's no different than your parts displays. You want to update them often, and verify they are clean. Basically, how is ADP supposed to know what you want to sell something for?

The other option is to use PRICE6-PRICE10 on your parts and set up labour types and price codes to sell at these prices. This works well with COST +, LIST -, or pretty much anything else you can dream of. The only problem with this way is too many labor types..., but it can and does work.

------------------
No, i'm sure you said left, right?
exmopar

Postby jazdale » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:57 am

Ex

I was debating about mentioning the price6-10 setups.
Personally, its my favorite way because it can totally remove countermen from overriding, but it requires very exacting setups so there are no holes in all your transactional pricing. The last thing I want to do is have the RO booker decide selling price because the system can't find the selling price of a part.

It gets involved, and can be done without creating new labor types.

In short...
1. Create source(s) for menued items
2. Change price-code matrix to use a different price formula for these sources. It should not require building new price codes.
3. Move parts to the new source and update the price field that the matrix will use.

jazdale

Postby cantfind122 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:51 pm

Just another quick suggestion for determining how pricing is happening is an often overlooked funtion in parts tools called DPC (display price calculation). You need the Invoice/RO number and the part number. Plug them in and the system will show you how the price calculated. It was built to help folks see where the calculations were coming from. I have always enjoyed using the old method because that's how I learned it but DPC does the same exact thing (even shows overrides). The reason I mention overrides is a very important piece of sometimes what seems unsolvable mysteries where everyone swears they didn't override a price. Once a part price is overridden it will stay forever at that overridden price until it is overridden again. Changing the labor type wil not do it nor will Sale types or customer numbers. The system sees an override as the ultimate deal. If you remember there are only four places a price can come from you are good. Source escalators (often overlooked in my experience), Price break escalator (used by the ton but sometimes embarrasingly misused), Price codes (pretty straight forward) and Quotes/SDL. If you want to count overrides you are correct there are five.
cantfind122

PreviousNext

Return to ADP Users Forum