Prepaid SOR on repair orders

Postby Mike » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:29 pm

jazdale,
In our store it happens maybe once week. The customer has ordered something like a hubcap or heater knob ... whatever, and decided he can put it on himself. They come to the parts counter with the RO as proof of payment and we have to get service to write a new ro that allows us to fill the original SOR. The customer is satisfied and gone, now service has another ro to track, fill and file. I'm wondering what it does to my sales history that RIM sees, how does it affect services hrs per ro count. Which month does the sale go in for history or for accounting. All just random questions that could possibly be negated if the option were there to fill like a CT.
Mike

Postby jazdale » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:00 pm

Mike

A couple replies to your random thoughts.

One a week may skew your numbers with an additional 4 against 2000 repair orders. Pretty negligible. Most service productivity reports have an option to exclude zero labor RO's in the count.
Financial statements will not update the labor account count with a value of zero.

The task to open, book and close the 2nd RO is very real. The counter-action (pun intended) would be to sell a prepaid counter ticket and have the customer pay 2 bills (RO and CT) with the cashier. Equally annoying with added inconvenience to the customer.

Pre-pays affect inventory and accounting accurately.

At Point of purchase:
O.H. not affected
Sales history affected
Accounting affected

When Filling prepaid:
O.H. affected
Sales history not affected
Accounting not affected

Let me throw this out as an idea.
If you know up front that the customer is going to come back just to get the part, would it make sense to just sell the part on the original RO?
This would force a negative O.H., create sales demand, and update accounting correctly.

To track it, create a manual SOR with reference to the RO number as a Prepaid in the comment or bin field.

When you receipt it, the O.H. should go up to zero.
When the customer shows up again, just close the SOR.
No affect on sales demand or accounting.
jazdale

Postby Ironchild » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:13 pm

For us it happens maybe once a month. We are a small dealer (4 techs between 2 franchises) so we don't see it as often as others I'm sure.

I belive SOR parts are tagged to vehicles not customers so even if we order something for a used or new vehicle on our lot and the vehicle is purchased before the part arrives, the SOR still shows under the new customers name when an RO is written for that vehicle. This may be why it might be hard to fill it outside of an RO if the connection is not there between the vehicle and SOR request. I guess it may be possible with a programming change from ADP. Matt any ideas??? While we are on the subject of SOR's also Matt, any way to get it changed so when making a manual SOR and you type in a part number that is not active in the system it can be brought up? Seems we always have to "activate" the numbers in an invoice quote before being able to add them to a manual SOR. There are no options that I can find for setting up or allowing this to happen. It's just a pain having to type part numbers twice. Just like in the PO screen when adding parts to an order. If the part is not active in the system but is a valid part number on the parts master it prompts if you'd like to add it. Only asks for source and a few enter key hits. Just a thought to help make our lives easier! Sorry for going off focused subject a bit.

------------------
"You want a 710 part?"
Ironchild

Postby gmcgrew » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Jazdale the only problem I can see is tracking the SOR correctly. I have seen when a part has a negative on hand and it is receipted for the correct order it doesn't show up on the SOR showing the part was receipted but it is receipted in PDA. Could create multiple orders if the person looking for the part thinks it is missing and nudges the system to order another.
gmcgrew

Postby Mike » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:53 pm

jazdale,
Thank you for the concise replies, I have no doubt you are correct. I've followed enough of your posts to trust your knowledge.

As far as skewing the RO numbers, that is not of primary concern although it still is a concern. I do not want to open a CT at time of SOR and expect or hope that the cashier catches it every time, nor do I always know in advance what a customer will decide to do later.

The point I had hoped to make was that there is an easier way. Change it to allow the same procedures as a prepaid CT. Why have all these workarounds? Is there a logical, well thought out reason (from a DEALERSHIPS VIEWPOINT) that this should not be the preferred or optional method?
Mike

Postby jazdale » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:20 pm

Mike
Thanks.

I agree that treating Prepaid SOR's differently for counter Vs RO has it's limitations. I have no idea how difficult it would be to commonize the procedures in the file struture.

I do push this and other items to product management to consider for future release enhancements.

Most (if not all) of my replies are for things that we can implement today.
jazdale

Postby exmopar » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:02 pm

Anyways.........

Stevenspeaking, where are youuuuuuu?

did you try the idea?

Thanks.

ex

------------------
No, i'm sure you said left, right?
exmopar

Postby Stevenspeaking » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:03 pm

Sorry I still struggle to do the amount of work I used to do before ADP. I still have alot of learning to do.

Ex, I did not try the idea you supplied. I instead called in a case. After about half an hour I asked if they could back out that I closed the SOR. They were able to do that. Now I am working with the service manager about getting a RO to close the SOR. He wants me to close the SOR and adjust inventory. So we are working out a new procedure. But my concern is I still don't know how his way will affect accounting. So for now the SOR is open and in limbo until we work this out. He is planning on calling ADP before we move forward on this.

------------------
Its like a big lifesize chess game.
Stevenspeaking

Postby exmopar » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:22 pm

Let me guess, he is worried about CP RO's and how it will affect his hours per RO. On an average month, one work order is going to be so miniscule to changing that number that it becomes irrelevant. The procedure should be this:

1 - Client wants part and wants you to install - prepay on RO.

2 - Client want part but will do themselves - do it on a counter prepay.

If one sneaks through a month on a shop prepay, so what. It changes CP hours per RO by how much? Less than .05, I'll bet.

Not to mention if you adjust inventory, it will show up on the Parts MGR report, and who do you have to explain that to? Your DP? Your P&S Director? Makes no sense to me - just do it right and be done with it. :-)

------------------
No, i'm sure you said left, right?
exmopar

Postby Jay Daniels » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:23 pm

jazdale:
Our service advisors are very busy. They have very little idle time. Why should it be necessary to involve the service department in order to allow a customer pick up a part for which they have already paid and decied to install it themselve rather than have it installed.

Do you not agree this is yet another issue what should be addressesed as a possible enhancement?

Just a thought, what do you think?

------------------
It is a good thing when seeking perfection to learn to accept excellence as a suitable alternative. It is not a good thing when seeking excellence to accept mediocrity as a substitute.

Do not hesitate to expect of others what others expect of you (excellence).

Jay Daniels

[This message has been edited by Jay Daniels (edited 07-22-2009).]

Jay Daniels

PreviousNext

Return to ADP Users Forum