ADP IO Command

ADP IO Command

Postby oldpartsman » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:42 pm

New here on the board. I just changed Dealerships due to our dealer being on the target list. My old dealer was well organized and had a very clean inventory. The new one is not and has completely different posting practices. When selling an oem part on a RO or Invoice that was picked up from another dealer we always used the IO (in-out) command when selling the part. Saved time and errors from having to post the part first then sell it. The new dealership says don't do that? Any ideas on why not to use the IO command? Were we doing it wrong at my old dealer?

Thanks

[This message has been edited by oldpartsman (edited 08-29-2009).]

oldpartsman

ADP IO Command

Postby jazdale » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:56 am

I think you already answered your own question - Not as organized and different procedures.

If I were to guess,
Your old store was timely with their posting and this shortcut was understood with practices in place to not accidently double receipt the same invoice.
Your new store lets receipts stack up before they post which can lead to accidental double receipting.
jazdale

ADP IO Command

Postby oldpartsman » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:41 am

Thanks for the reply jazzdale. Yes our old store had good procedures and still not understanding the new stores yet. I guess I should have been a little more specific here. What type of sale and or purchase type (emergency, normal etc) does the IO command register with ADP?

Thanks
oldpartsman

ADP IO Command

Postby jazdale » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:10 pm

Shows as an Emergency purchase and as a daily override
jazdale

ADP IO Command

Postby oldpartsman » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:29 pm

Thanks jazdale, Thats kinda what I thought wasn't sure. I am starting to see the picture now as to why he doesn't want to use this.
oldpartsman

ADP IO Command

Postby petepuma01 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:06 pm

I don't know ADP well but I know ERA very well. I assume the IO transactions are similar between the 2 systems.

Assuming they are, I always recommended against IO as performing a manual receipt would allow for better tracking. With a manual receipt, you can record the vendor and invoice # you purchased the part on. Then using the various transaction journals, you could see where the part came from (what dealer) and on what invoice.

Perhaps when you do an IO on ADP, you can record this information?

If you can't, the method the new dealer is using might be better in the long term since there is more tracking information.

Again, this post is based on my ERA knowledge and my assumption that ADP works in a similar manner.
petepuma01

ADP IO Command

Postby oldpartsman » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:19 pm

Thanks for all the replies on this. I'm kinda between a rock and hard place here at the new dealer. I have been using adp for years and we never tied an invoice number to the part when posting it. We used DS command( part number space qty) for parts picked up from another dealer if we didn't use the io command. Is this wrong? If we ever needed to track the part we looked it up under the purchase order function dpo. If possible would like to hear how other dealers are posting these on adp. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
oldpartsman

ADP IO Command

Postby Mike » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:10 pm

I'm with Pete on this one. We do not use IO. We sell every part every time with the xception of the NAPA stuff. I receipt each invoice in RA and show the PO# the vendor info and the vendor invoice. Yes it is more work, but when combined with PDA and DPO it provides almost fool proof tracking.
Until there is a proven better way, I think I'll stick with my method.
Mike

ADP IO Command

Postby cantfind122 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:20 pm

Don't know if this will provide and insight but here goes. An N override (No history) changes quantity but does not touch history, a D override (drop ship if a postive qty defective return if negative) does not change quantity but does record history. I/O in practicality does neither. If you have ever lived through an "unhook" (Brand X to ADP) you will notice the folks doing WIP using the N (space) D overrides for repair orders because they don't want to duplicate the history record nor do they want to re-sell parts that have already been relieved on the Brand X system. Of course, this can vary depending on when they do the data pull but it is usually the case.
cantfind122

ADP IO Command

Postby OK PARTS MANAGER » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:26 pm

In OMN, OSOP option 34 you can set it up to require a vendor # for IO transaction. I like useing IO because it does a great job of tracking Emergency Purchases.
OK PARTS MANAGER

Next

Return to ADP Users Forum