ADP ENG/RPG Thread

ADP ENG/RPG Thread

Postby aksales » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:41 pm

Hey all I figured I would start this thread for anyone that is starting or working on Report Generator or English statements (RPG/ENG). Hopefully there will be a few of us in here that can post tips or answer questions for others that are in need. We (Alaska Sales & Service) have been on ADP DRIVE for about a year and a half and are finally getting the opportunity to work with RPG/ENG and have been able to work around some of the limitations we have found. Anyway post away.
aksales

ADP ENG/RPG Thread

Postby aksales » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:43 pm

First post for this is an easy way to get an EXCEL file from any ENG (English) report. Instead of running your english report in ENG, run it in RXR. This will take the same report and then prompt you to save it as an excel file on your computer.
aksales

ADP ENG/RPG Thread

Postby aksales » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:52 pm

Second post for now is how to pull down a list of the DICT items from a FILE.

This example is for Parts (since it seems 90% of the posts on DE are parts). Run the following under your -I logon.

1. Function: RXR
2. At the ? prompt type in: SORT PARTS DICT 3 9 10
3. Hit ENTER twice.
4. When it pops up the File Format Selection window select Microsoft Excel Worksheet (XLS)
5. Give it a name and it save.
6. This should save and then open the file on your computer which will show all the DICT items for the parts file PARTS with the DICT item name(column), The Description, Justification, and then field length.

I just learned this bad boy late last week and this has really helped with fleshing out which files to pull data from and where the data is located. Your milage may vary and this is posted AS IS NO WARRANTY OR GUARANTEE, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY GOOD BAD OR OTHER!!

Hope it helps though!
aksales

ADP ENG/RPG Thread

Postby TL_parts » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:42 am

offtopic a bit, but does anyone know a way to take PDA "G" reports to output to file?

moreover, that 'style' of Report-generator - does it have a name? (not RPG, not ENG - but... )
TL_parts

ADP ENG/RPG Thread

Postby aksales » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:09 pm

TL_parts,
There are 2 different things I can think of off the top of my head on how to do that possibly.

1. Run to terminal, then highlight & COPY the data. Go into excel and PASTE. This will probably put it all into one column so then use the TEXT TO COLUMNS (usually under the Data tab/menu.

2. The other way I can think of is to run it to a DSDA cabinet. From there you should be able export from DSDA to excel (options at top). With this you might also have to use the TEXT TO COLUMNS as well.

Good luck!
aksales

Return to ADP Users Forum